Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Carl Manaster <Ca...@ACTIVX.com> on 2006/12/01 20:01:44 UTC

RE: Does torque support Mysql 5.0 and view

Hi, Thomas,

Do I understand correctly that Torque supports only reading from (and not
writing to) views?

Thanks,
--Carl

Posted by Carl Manaster <Ca...@ACTIVX.com>.
Hi, Greg,

Thanks.  Has anyone actually used this capability?  I'm considering applying
some of the techniques in Ambler and Sadalage's "Refactoring Databases:
Evolutionary Database Design" to rename a table, and it looks like it would
be significantly easier with an updatable view.

Peace,
--Carl

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
I think you should be able to write to a view.  The nosql
option does not prevent the save, delete, update methods of
the "view" objects from being created.  Torque just thinks
it's a normal table (which is what views are supposed to be).

The only issues with writing to a view I can think of are:

Problems if the DB prevents some fields from be writable,
e.g. one of the fields is the result of a function.

Also, there are some issues in saving or updating tables
without a primary keys.  Note that you can define a primary
key in the XML even if the DB does not enforce it.  So, if
your view has a column that can be used as a primary key,
you can get around them that way.

Greg

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.