Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com> on 2001/07/18 13:13:34 UTC

mod_webapp

Hi,

I have started to test mod_webapp I have some complains:
- It needs gnu make but could have used normal make. - Should I change it? -
- When configuring APR I need to pass some parameters:
  CC=/usr/bin/cc \
  CFLAGS=-DXTI_SUPPORT \
  ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-threads
  (I will add this to the README.txt)
- The make build the java part but it needs CLASSPATH... (We use ant everywhere,
why using make for mod_webapp).

Cheers

Jean-frederic

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Klaus Sonnenleiter at klaus@sonnenleiter.com wrote:

> Pier,
>
> I just ran into that problem myself: I think you can't get the older
> version of APR anymore (or rather: I wasn't able to find it). I was able to
> get everything to compile by just adding the parameter in the function
> call. However, didn't get around to test it yet.

Ok kids... I got my copy of APR (the one I'm using right now and seems to
work fairly well) here: <http://www.apache.org/~pier/apr-webapp-1.0.tar.gz>

Check out if it works for you too...

    Pier

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by Klaus Sonnenleiter <kl...@sonnenleiter.com>.

At 04:43 PM 7/18/01 +0100, you wrote:
>jean-frederic clere at jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com wrote:
> >
> >> Nope... The official _stable_ WARP code is distributed with Tomcat
> 4.0, and
> >> resides in that CVS... The one you download from jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> >> is the "working copy"... As soon as I tag a "stable" version, that gets
> >> copied over into the official repository...
> >
> > So we will need to explain this in the README.txt. If the idea is to
> have the
> > developement version in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and the maintenance
> mode one
> > in Tomcat 4.0 that is great! (Otherwise it is confusing...).
>
>Hmm... Ok...
>
> >> If will change apjava.m4, so that if you don't specify --with-jdk, you
> won't
> >> compile java (remove the compile task, and remove all dependancies)
> >> sometimes in the future... Now it's not a priority (the priority is to
> have
> >> that piece of shit to pass the watchdog tests, soooooo....).
> >>
> >> Maybe next week.
> >
> > The CVS I have does not compile because apr_socket_create()... It
> misses the
> > inherit parameter!
> > APR has added it to the apr_socket_create(). Should I fix it or just
> tell we
> > need a tagged APR (like APACHE_2_0_20).
>
>I have an old pre-sms version of APR I'm using, and it seems it's working on
>most platforms "as-is"... I might ask the APR guys to tag it with
>"MOD_WEBAPP_1_0", or redistribute it in a nice tarball...

Pier,

I just ran into that problem myself: I think you can't get the older
version of APR anymore (or rather: I wasn't able to find it). I was able to
get everything to compile by just adding the parameter in the function
call. However, didn't get around to test it yet.

Klaus

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. at wrowe@rowe-clan.net wrote:

> [...]

I'm going to redistribute the sources of APR with the source release of
mod_webapp, it's not a big deal (I can actually update with a specific date,
instead of using a tag! :)

>> I'd say to pick a daily CVS tarball and make mod_webapp depend on that
>> (if you don't want to have them use CVS), but that looks broken since
>> the switchover.  I'll try and look at it later.  But, rbb may be able
>> to fix it sooner.
>>
>> And, hopefully, rbb and wrowe will back out their inherit changes soon
>> (i.e. make it not required to pass in to the apr_socket_create et al
>> functions, but require it to be explicitly called.)  This should let
>> mod_webapp build again.  -- justin
>
> Fixed, sorry to have broken you Pier.

Don't worry, as I said on the tomcat-dev mailing list, choosing APR was
something planned. I don't care if you break my builds, the tradeoff of
using your code is just awesome.

I plan to keep our CVS sources as "unstable", and tag specific releases of
mod_webapp, tarball them, and distribute them with an APR tarball.

So, guys, just keep up the excellent work, and if something breaks in my
builds, I'll just fix my code. APR is the way to go :)

    Pier

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz at jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:43:57PM +0100, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
>> I have an old pre-sms version of APR I'm using, and it seems it's working on
>> most platforms "as-is"... I might ask the APR guys to tag it with
>> "MOD_WEBAPP_1_0", or redistribute it in a nice tarball...
>
> Ha!  -- justin

What's funny?

    Pier

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz at jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:29:31PM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>> I would advise to use a tagged version of APR in mod_webapp. Using the
>> lastest
>> one is/was not a good idea.
>>
>> I am using the APR tagged "APACHE_2_0_20" for testing mod_webapp and it
>> compiles
>> Ok at least on 2 of test plateforms I use. (ReliantUnix and Linux).
>
> Keep in mind that we're still changing stuff around and we're not
> keeping backwards compatibility with anything because we haven't
> officially released APR.  So, if you use an older tagged version for
> a while, you'll get stuck with a bunch of updates all at once that
> may not make any sense.
>
> Furthermore, this whole inherit thing wasn't the most thought-out
> patch we've committed into APR.  I think we have a solution that is
> better and reverts us back to the old API.  Bear with us.  =)

Choosing APR as the mod_webapp abstraction layer has been a well thought-out
choice. When I started, I knew that APR was far from completion and its API
were not stable, BUT the tradeoff of using that code is _incredible_. In the
module source there isn't a single #ifdef dependant to the OS.

That's why I'm oriented towards the use of CVS as a pure unstable
development tree, having the Java classes copied over to jakarta-tomcat-4.0
when a release is tagged, and distributing an APR tarball with the sources
of the module.

Like in BSD, I want to get a UNSTABLE distribution (CVS, daily snapshots and
so on, without APR), and a STABLE one (rolled tarballs, with APR).

    Pier

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:29:31PM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> I would advise to use a tagged version of APR in mod_webapp. Using the lastest
> one is/was not a good idea.
>
> I am using the APR tagged "APACHE_2_0_20" for testing mod_webapp and it compiles
> Ok at least on 2 of test plateforms I use. (ReliantUnix and Linux).

Keep in mind that we're still changing stuff around and we're not
keeping backwards compatibility with anything because we haven't
officially released APR.  So, if you use an older tagged version for
a while, you'll get stuck with a bunch of updates all at once that
may not make any sense.

Furthermore, this whole inherit thing wasn't the most thought-out
patch we've committed into APR.  I think we have a solution that is
better and reverts us back to the old API.  Bear with us.  =)
-- justin

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@ebuilt.com>.
> > Nope... The official _stable_ WARP code is distributed with Tomcat 4.0, and
> > resides in that CVS... The one you download from jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> > is the "working copy"... As soon as I tag a "stable" version, that gets
> > copied over into the official repository...
>
> So we will need to explain this in the README.txt. If the idea is to have the
> developement version in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and the maintenance mode one
> in Tomcat 4.0 that is great! (Otherwise it is confusing...).

"Aaron is pro README."

j-t-c could really use a STATUS file as well...i'll attach the boilerplate
STATUS to give us something to work with.

> > If will change apjava.m4, so that if you don't specify --with-jdk, you won't
> > compile java (remove the compile task, and remove all dependancies)
> > sometimes in the future... Now it's not a priority (the priority is to have
> > that piece of shit to pass the watchdog tests, soooooo....).
> >
> > Maybe next week.
>
> The CVS I have does not compile because apr_socket_create()... It misses the
> inherit parameter!
> APR has added it to the apr_socket_create(). Should I fix it or just tell we
> need a tagged APR (like APACHE_2_0_20).

Actually hold off on this, I think the function params will go back to normal
shortly...

-aaron

---------------cut here----------------
Jakarta-Tomcat-Connectors STATUS:						-*-text-*-
Last modified at [$Date: $]

This project exists to ...

Release:

RELEASE SHOWSTOPPERS:

Other bugs that need fixing:

Other features that need writing:

Documentation that needs writing:

    * Documentation?  What documentation?

Available Patches:

Open issues:

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> jean-frederic clere at jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have started to test mod_webapp I have some complains:
>
> Oh, well...
>
> > - It needs gnu make but could have used normal make. - Should I change it? -
>
> How about APR... Which one does it need?

Normal make.

> > - When configuring APR I need to pass some parameters:
> > CC=/usr/bin/cc \
> > CFLAGS=-DXTI_SUPPORT \
> > ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-threads
> > (I will add this to the README.txt)
>
> I don't get why you have to specify the CC location (should be in your path)
> and enable XTI_SUPPORT... It's pointless to add them to the readme... If
> your platform requires those two things, they need to be updated in the APR
> configure script.

I have just committed it - Have a look to it - (Yes, I could have added this to
APR)

> > - The make build the java part but it needs CLASSPATH... (We use ant
> > everywhere, why using make for mod_webapp).
>
> So? The official Java build of the Warp code is the one in the
> jakarta-tomcat-4 repository...

So I am just loosing time? Where hell is the correct code? (Should be in
jakarta-tomcat-connectors!).

Re: mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.