Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com> on 2017/10/06 06:48:56 UTC

Kafka ServiceConnector

Hi All,

I am looking to contribute an artemis ServiceConnector that would leverage the existing service connector interface to bridge from a queue into a kafka topic similar to bridge between artemis clusters.

Idea is to make it configurable how to transform and encode the message in kafka but as amqp is becoming very well supported by artemis provide out the box that the message be encoded in amqp byte protocol.

It something I’ve been working on privately for a bit, but since becoming a committer here is really like to share it.

I hope if I get a positive response here to get a branch ready soon, but feedback if this is welcomed would be great.

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Kafka ServiceConnector

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com>.
Im 0.5 this idea atm as there isn’t such a page.

So I can become more sold on this to become a +1, being a committer how would I go about creating such an ecosystem page within ActiveMQ Artemis site.

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Kafka ServiceConnector

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
In my opinion integrations like this are best kept outside the broker.  If
they use the service connector hooks then there won't be any performance
impact whether or not they are in the broker code-base.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the comparison made between this
integration and the core bridge.  The core bridge is a necessary bit of
functionality to enable clustering.  Clustering is a core broker feature.
Integration with Kafka (while nice) is not a core broker feature.

As long as they aren't in the Artemis code-base then I don't think it's a
big deal where the integrations live as long as there some up-to-date
documentation about where to find them.

Justin

Re: Kafka ServiceConnector

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.