Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/08/17 18:45:04 UTC

[vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

The topic has been floated out for discussion for a week now - lets
decide how we want to make this a part of our project structure, and
how committers are handled.  I know it's a  lot to chew on, but we've
been talking about it for a while, so no issues here should surprise
anyone.  When considering, assume the best intention of everyone,
keep "the benefit of the doubt" in mind, know that we will be able to
handle corner and boundary cases, know that our sourcebase is safe
because of technical veto, and that we want to enrich our community
both in people and code.

You can vote as many times as you want, feel free to argue a side or
challenge another, and your last vote will count.  If I did anything
stupid here, call me on it early.

Voting shall continue until Saturday, 12 noon EDT, August 20th, 2005.

For a codebase or module that will be part of Geronimo as a
subproject, we will :

1) Setup a parallel SVN tree for it, say geronimo/$foo/
2) It would have it's own released artifacts and independent release
cycle.
3) It would be wholly under the control and oversight of the Geronimo
PMC
4) It would have it's own webpage on the site  (I imagine left nav
entry for it under a Subprojects heading)
5) All geronimo committers would have commit access to the subproject

[ ] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
     person would be granted permission to extend
     scope of activity in the codebase.

[ ] I like this but do wish to see a separate ACL for new
     people working on the subproject.  New people will engage
     with the rest of the codebase through conversation,
     interaction with other committers and patches.  The existing
     committers will formally vote to extend general geronimo
     commit privs to a subproject committer.

[ ] I don't like any of these options and prefer something else :

geirm@apache.org

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

> On Aug 17, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>>     for new people working on the subproject
>>

> Late vote, crazy busy, sorry.
>
> Just to be on the clear side since this vote took place somewhere
> in the context of a donation, I'm not implicitly agreeing that all/
> some/any donations should be subprojects.

Clearly not.   Me neither.

geir

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
My vote:

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL

Better late than never
--
Jeremy

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>     person would be granted permission to extend
>     scope of activity in the codebase.

Jacek

[RESULT] [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
The time has expired, so we'll count (and take Dain's vote since it
was before the tally :) (and anyone who didn't, feel free to give us
your opinion...)

On Aug 17, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> For a codebase or module that will be part of Geronimo as a
> subproject, we will :
>
> 1) Setup a parallel SVN tree for it, say geronimo/$foo/
> 2) It would have it's own released artifacts and independent
> release cycle.
> 3) It would be wholly under the control and oversight of the
> Geronimo PMC
> 4) It would have it's own webpage on the site  (I imagine left nav
> entry for it under a Subprojects heading)
> 5) All geronimo committers would have commit access to the subproject

For the choice

> [ ] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>     person would be granted permission to extend
>     scope of activity in the codebase.

+1 : Geir, Bruce, Dims, Jeff, Alan, Mark, David Jencks, John, Jacek,
Gianny, Dain
-0 : Aaron

For the choice

> [ ] I like this but do wish to see a separate ACL for new
>     people working on the subproject.  New people will engage
>     with the rest of the codebase through conversation,
>     interaction with other committers and patches.  The existing
>     committers will formally vote to extend general geronimo
>     commit privs to a subproject committer.

+1 : Aaron

For the choice

> [ ] I don't like any of these options and prefer something else

No one (whew).

I'll add to the website as a policy.

Thanks, all.

geir

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/17/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> [ X ] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>      for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>      rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>      they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>      though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>      and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>      can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>      this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>      person would be granted permission to extend
>      scope of activity in the codebase.

In the interest of furthering the community and the project, I am in
highly in favor of reaching a consensus on this issue quickly.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Aug 17, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>     person would be granted permission to extend
>     scope of activity in the codebase.

-dain

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Aug 17, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [X ] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>     person would be granted permission to extend
>     scope of activity in the codebase.

David Jencks

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
On 18/08/2005 2:45 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> For a codebase or module that will be part of Geronimo as a
> subproject, we will :
>
> 1) Setup a parallel SVN tree for it, say geronimo/$foo/
> 2) It would have it's own released artifacts and independent release
> cycle.
> 3) It would be wholly under the control and oversight of the Geronimo
> PMC
> 4) It would have it's own webpage on the site  (I imagine left nav
> entry for it under a Subprojects heading)
> 5) All geronimo committers would have commit access to the subproject
>
> [X ] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>     person would be granted permission to extend
>     scope of activity in the codebase.

Gianny

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by Mark <de...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry for the delay, I've recently broken my right hand and I am in
almost at the bottom of my inbox.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Am with Bruce....Geir, you need to VOTE too :)

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/ - Oxygenating The Web Service Platform

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Dear Committers (who have not VOTE'd),

We have just 5 votes (total 22 committers) as of now......PLEASE take
this seriously. We need to commit ourselves to being open and honest.
We need to show how we want the community to grow and prosper. Please
state your position for the record. This is an open source project,
not an old boys club. At the least do +0 or -0 for the least
objectionable option (OR) come up with an alternative and do a +1 for
your alternative.

Why is it so hard to take a minute to VOTE? CC'ing all committers directly.

-- dims

Aaron Mulder:
> [-0] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
> [+1] I like this but do wish to see a separate ACL for new

Alan Cabrera:
> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL

Jeff Genender:
> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL

Davanum Srinivas:
> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL

Bruce Snyder:

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
[-0] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
[+1] I like this but do wish to see a separate ACL for new
[ ] I don't like any of these options and prefer something else

Aaron

Re: [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy

Posted by si...@insession.com.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> wrote on 18/08/2005 02:45:04 AM:

> [X] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
>      for new people working on the subproject, but rather
>      rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
>      they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
>      though conversation and interaction with other committers,
>      and propose code via patches which an existing committer
>      can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
>      this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
>      person would be granted permission to extend
>      scope of activity in the codebase.

John