Posted to dev@yunikorn.apache.org by Wilfred Spiegelenburg <wi...@apache.org> on 2023/02/10 01:49:01 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] upgrading go 1.20 with YuniKorn 1.3.0

With the release of go 1.20 we will not get any security fixes on go
1.18 anymore.
With the new release of YuniKorn just finished, this is a good point
to move to go 1.20 for the next YuniKorn release [1].

There is a snag: a change was made to some go command that causes the
linter version we use, golangci-lint, to run OOM and or fail. A fix
was added in the next minor release for the linter. This means we need
to also move to a later version of golangci-lint. Both are simple low
impact fixes from a build perspective.
For our builds as part of the PRs we can change and update.

Developers not using Brew are OK and can simply upgrade to the same
versions as in the PR builds. That has been tested.
However anyone using Brew to install their go or golangci-lint will
get blocked.  Brew formulas have not been updated to work with go 1.20
as yet. A golangci-lint compiled with go 1.19 does not work when you
have go 1.20 installed as the compiler. Brew is working on an update.

The workaround is to install the latest golangci-lint directly from
their website [2] The script will handle MacOS in all its forms.

Thank you to Jagadeesan A S for discovering the issue, testing and
working through the brew issues to find a fix.
We're looking at making the change late next week in the master branch only.

Wilfred & Jagadeesan A S

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YUNIKORN-1478
[2] https://golangci-lint.run/usage/install/#linux-and-windows

Re: [ANNOUNCE] upgrading go 1.20 with YuniKorn 1.3.0

Posted by Wilfred Spiegelenburg <wi...@apache.org>.
Brew has released Go 1.20. The blocker is resolved at that level.

We will finish the changes and move to Go 1.20 for the master as soon
as that is done.
We'll look at the possibility to automatically upgrade the
golangci-lint binary to a minimum version required for Go 1.20.

Wilfred