Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rudolf Nottrott <rn...@alexandria.UCSB.edu> on 2004/03/23 18:31:14 UTC

RE: Tomcat documentation in "book format" (in contrast to the myriad files in a Web documentation)

I'm not really sure what this involves.  It didn't occur to me that
documentation might be written as an Ant task.  What would be the benefits
of that?  Any examples of that kind of thing somebody else might have done
for other documentation?

Rudolf

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
I use Docbook to write my documentation, and the same docbook XML file
can be used to generate a single PDF document. Problem is, when you use
it to generate HTML, the filenames are sometimes randomly generated.
This can play havoc on search engines, like Google, because the location
can change arbitrarily. And for just-released products, the amount of
doc changes can sometimes make the documentation unsearchable (if the
document is updated frequently).

On the plus side:
- Docbook is easy to learn
- you get consistent formatting
- you only need to code the document once to be able to generate it into
HTML and PDF format (and it even looks like one of those authoritative
manuals published by commercial software companies)

Regards,
pascal chong