Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Rob Stewart <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/23 15:11:18 UTC

Performance & Programming Comparison of JAQL, Hive, Pig and Java

Hi folks,

As promised, today I have made available my findings and experiment results
from my research project, examining the high level languages: Pig, Hive and
JAQL.

The project extends from existing studies, by evaluating the scale up, scale
out, and runtime for 3 benchmarking applications. It also examines the ease
of programming, and the computational power of each language.

I've created two documents:
- Publication - A slide-by-slide presentation. 16 slides - *Suitable for
most readers*
- dissertation results chapter (18 pages of text)

You can find these documents at:
http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~rs46/publications.html

Excuse the .HTML link - It is useful for me to record the number of hits the
publication receives.

I welcome any feedback, either on this mailing list, or to my University
email address for direct correspondence. Any questions regarding the
benchmarks should be sent to my University email address.

Thanks for taking an interest,

Rob Stewart

Re: Performance & Programming Comparison of JAQL, Hive, Pig and Java

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
Glad to know that Hive has a good performance compared with other languages.

It will be great if you can publish the queries/codes in the
benchmark, as well as environment setup, so that other people can
rerun your benchmark easily.

Zheng

--
Yours,