Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Thomas Lee <to...@vector-seven.com> on 2008/06/09 18:22:39 UTC

Contributing code to Apache HTTPd

Hi,

I'd love to contribute some code to the Apache web server, but it's a
little intimidating to know quite where to start. Obviously the bug
tracker was my first port of call, but it's difficult to determine which
defects would be good for a new developer to look at.

Even if not defects, is there another set of tasks that might be useful
for familiarizing one's self with the trunk? How are new releases
planned, etc.?

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Contributing code to Apache HTTPd

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Thomas Lee wrote:

> I'd love to contribute some code to the Apache web server, but it's
> a little intimidating to know quite where to start. Obviously the
> bug tracker was my first port of call, but it's difficult to
> determine which defects would be good for a new developer to look at.

The best defects to attack are the ones that directly affect you or
your friends.  That way you have a real-life opportunity to test the
results of your efforts.

> Even if not defects, is there another set of tasks that might be
> useful for familiarizing one's self with the trunk? How are new
> releases planned, etc.?

You're in the right place!  Development and release are discussed
right here on the mailinglist.  Also, look at the information on http://httpd.apache.org/dev/
  and the STATUS file in the source tree http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: Contributing code to Apache HTTPd

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Thomas Lee wrote:

> I'd love to contribute some code to the Apache web server, but it's a
> little intimidating to know quite where to start. Obviously the bug
> tracker was my first port of call, but it's difficult to determine which
> defects would be good for a new developer to look at.
>
> Even if not defects, is there another set of tasks that might be useful
> for familiarizing one's self with the trunk? How are new releases
> planned, etc.?

doing already), and see how things are done over time.

In terms of where to start, start with an itch you need scratched. I
started out with the proxy module way back when which didn't work the
way I wanted it to work, and so I dived into the code one monday morning
in an effort to fix the issues I was having. The first fix leads to the
next.

Once you have patches, add them to bug reports (so they don't fall
through the cracks), and post them here so we get a heads up that
something has been fixed / new stuff done. Sometimes people on the list
get bogged down with other stuff and so may not come back to you
immediately, keep prodding gently till you get a response.

There has been quite a bit of new stuff on trunk, building it, trying to
break it would be very useful, especially across other platforms.

Regards,
Graham