Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ishan Thilina <is...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/26 15:16:32 UTC

Interested in participating to GSoC 2013 with Sling

Hi,

I am a student from the Faculty of Engineering, Universtiy of Moratuwa, Sri
Lanka who is currently in my 4th year (final year) majoring in Computer
Science and Engineering. I was a GSoC participant in 2012 for Creative
Commons and was able to successfully complete the assigned project[1]. I
would like to contribute  to Sling in GSoC 2013.

 I did my 6 months of internship in WSO2[2], which is a middleware company
who's products are entirely built on OSGI. There, I was part of a test
hackathon which was carried out for around 2 months for one of their
products, named WSO2 Governance Registry(GReg) [3]. There I wrote various
integration tests for the product. Few of my test cases included testing
JCR related functionality of GReg, so I have an understanding on what is
JCR and how it can be used.

Also I have used JUnit in some of my project work that I carried out in the
university.

So I believe that I have the ability to work on both the ideas listed in
[4], and [5] (I wanted to do [5] even in GSoC 2012, but somehow missed the
opportunity).

To be honest, I've never used Sling nor Solr. So I know that i might not
seem the best candidate for [4]. But after taking a look at both Sling and
Solr, I have the confidence that I'll be able to complete the project.

I honestly believe that I have enough knowledge to complete [5].

My LinkedIn profile can be accessed via [6]. That will list most of the
important activities carried out by me and the recommendations that I've
got for my work in WSO2 (you might need to log in to LinkedIn).

I'm pretty sure that with proper guidance I can complete either [4] or [5].
Please give me any advice, guidance you'd like to extend.

[1]. http://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit/cc.libreoffice.git/
[2]. http://wso2.com/
[3]. http://wso2.com/products/governance-registry/
[4]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2795
[5]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-1437
[6]. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ishan-somasiri/25/bab/951

--

Ishan Thilina Somasiri
3rd year undergraduate,

Re: Interested in participating to GSoC 2013 with Sling

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi Ishan,
No worries. Good luck with your finals.
Ian

Posted by Ishan Somasiri <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi Ishan,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ishan Thilina <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi again!,

Sorry for making such noise. But I couldn't resist sending another mail
after seeing [1]!.

In my time of 9 months in WSO2, my main project was writing a JMX
monitoring agent[2] for their Business Activity Monitor[3]. Since all of
their products are based on OSGi, I got a fair understanding on writing
OSGi components. Also  the testing work that I carried out in WSO2 too
involved writing a couple of OSGi components. So I have a fair amount of
experience on working with OSGi.