Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jon Stevens <la...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/04 08:06:03 UTC

Sweetened

Hi all,

For those of you frustrated with the complexity of Maven and Ivy
dependency management, Sweetened is a great ant only solution for
dealing with your jar files. It is blazing fast, easy to understand
and integrates really well with Eclipse.

http://code.google.com/p/sweetened/

I'd like to thank everyone here for their help getting it going. It is
working great in a environment with about 15 developers and ~10
projects.

cheers,

jon

Re: Sweetened

Posted by Jon Stevens <la...@gmail.com>.
For me, building projects is primarily these things:

a) Dependency resolution shouldn't be that difficult. I can put some
#comment notes in my jar.properties file if I need to remember
something. I feel that if your projects are all so complicated to
build that you actually need uber complicated dependency resolution,
then maybe something else is wrong with the design of your build
system.

b) Speed. Builds need to go as fast as possible. So far, Ant is the
only tool I've found that really does things quickly. If you add more
layers of complexity into your build, you are slowing yourself down in
both the ability to work with the build system as well as develop with
it.

c) Simplicity. Before I started Sweetened, I seriously took a look at
the various build tools currently out there and tried to integrate
them into my relatively simple builds. Everything I found required
complicated setup based around questionable documentation. I've been
working for the past few years to generate open source software that
is well documented and easy to use (@see subetha, subethasmtp,
kaptcha, sardine). If I have a project that has 10 jar files, all I
want is something that just sits directly on top of the tool we all
already know and love. Something that doesn't get into the way, cause
random problems and something that does exactly what I want.

Ivy fails the KISS test. It is just too complicated and slow. Sure, as
you say, you can just have a local repository, but if you are going to
do that, you might as well not use it at all. Just use Sweetened and
get the same benefits, but without the extra junk you don't need.

cheers,

jon

Re: Sweetened

Posted by Jeffrey Sinclair <je...@cooljeff.co.uk>.