Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Benjamin Bostow <me...@sendyoutonull.com> on 2007/03/22 20:24:13 UTC

JSON and REST

I tried posting this question to the Axis User list, just thought I
might not have recieved a response because it is a feature currently in
development. Sorry for the repost if it isn't correct.

I have been looking at using JSON and REST within Axis2. I am using a
data binding model for instance, the sample data binding that uses the
URL such as:
http://localhost:8080/rest/StockQuoteService/getStockQuote?symbol=goog.
I would like these to return either REST or JSON depending on the users
inputs. I am having a problem understanding how the messageReseivers and
the messageFormatter and messageBuilder work together. I would like to
know how I can have REST and JSON working side by side, maybe even
simular to the Yahoo output=json. I appreciate any assistance that is
provided.

I have tried looking at the new documentation but couldn't find any
information on JSON as a server.

Benjamin

Re: JSON and REST

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benjamin,

JSON support will be included from the Axis-1.2 release onwards, so if u
want JSON support you will have to use the nightlies (The 1.2 release will
be out biginning of April). The 1.2 release will also have enhanced REST
support through the WSDL 2.0 HTTPBinding. Axis2 is basically a SOAP
processing engine which means it deals with SOAP messages. The role of REST
and JSON messageBuilders is to essentially create a SOAP message from the
request coming in (These are invoked based on the contentType of the
request). The Messageformatters formats a outgoing message depending on the
org.apache.axis2.Constants.Configuration.MESSAGE_TYPE property. By default
the incoming messageType is set as the outgoing messageType. So if you do a
JSON request you will get a JSON response. You can change this by
overwriting the
org.apache.axis2.Constants.Configuration.MESSAGE_TYPEproperty to what
ever you need.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
Keith

On 3/23/07, Benjamin Bostow <me...@sendyoutonull.com> wrote:

> I tried posting this question to the Axis User list, just thought I
> might not have recieved a response because it is a feature currently in
> development. Sorry for the repost if it isn't correct.
>
> I have been looking at using JSON and REST within Axis2. I am using a
> data binding model for instance, the sample data binding that uses the
> URL such as:
> http://localhost:8080/rest/StockQuoteService/getStockQuote?symbol=goog.
> I would like these to return either REST or JSON depending on the users
> inputs. I am having a problem understanding how the messageReseivers and
> the messageFormatter and messageBuilder work together. I would like to
> know how I can have REST and JSON working side by side, maybe even
> simular to the Yahoo output=json. I appreciate any assistance that is
> provided.
>
> I have tried looking at the new documentation but couldn't find any
> information on JSON as a server.
>
> Benjamin

Keith Chapman
WSO2 Inc.