Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/05/01 20:17:08 UTC

[CRYPTO] How to build CRYPTO on Mac OS 10.11?

Hi,

today I started working on the site build. I ran into problems with the
native build and with different JDK versions. Can anybody help? I've
documented my problems in CRYPTO-45 [1].

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRYPTO-45

Re: [CRYPTO] How to build CRYPTO on Mac OS 10.11?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 May 2016 at 21:27, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 1, 2016 12:19 PM, "sebb" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 1 May 2016 at 19:17, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > today I started working on the site build. I ran into problems with the
>> > native build and with different JDK versions. Can anybody help? I've
>> > documented my problems in CRYPTO-45 [1].
>>
>> I think you have discovered why there were concerns about using JNI...
>
> Yeah, you need a C compiler and linker set up and avail on the command line.

And the JNI code may need to be tweaked for your particular OS.

Whereas I think JNA comes with pre-compiled libraries for most OSes.

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of using JNI.
Not because of the native code per se, but because of the number of
different OSes that potentially need to be supported.  We cannot even
release source for a specific OS unless it can be tested on it.

Given that other people have already done the work for JNA for many
more OSes than we are likely to be able to call on in Commons, why not
use JNA?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 1. Mai 2016 um
22:27 Uhr:

> On May 1, 2016 12:19 PM, "sebb" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 1 May 2016 at 19:17, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > today I started working on the site build. I ran into problems with the
> > > native build and with different JDK versions. Can anybody help? I've
> > > documented my problems in CRYPTO-45 [1].
> >
> > I think you have discovered why there were concerns about using JNI...
>
> Yeah, you need a C compiler and linker set up and avail on the command
> line.

I have that set up. It looks like the build is missing required
libraries/dependencies, which were available on Mac OS prior to 10.11.

Benedikt

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Chen, Haifeng" <ha...@intel.com>.
Yes, just we talked in JIRA, we will have a developer guide to cover both Linux and Mac OS currently.
Thank you Benedikt.

Regards,
Haifeng

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Daipeng,

Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> schrieb am Mi., 4. Mai 2016 um
09:14 Uhr:

> Thank you Dapeng! I'll give it a try later today.
>
> Sun, Dapeng <da...@intel.com> schrieb am Mi., 4. Mai 2016 um
> 05:33 Uhr:
>
>> Hi Benedikt,
>>
>> Hope this information will be helpful
>>
>> 1. Upgrade openssl to 1.0.1c above using brew(http://brew.sh/)[1]:
>> Check your openssl version, by default it's not 1.0.1
>> $openssl version
>> OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011
>>
>> $ brew search openssl
>> $ brew install homebrew/versions/openssl101
>> $ brew link openssl --force

I'm in the middle of setting my environment up. However, when installing
openssl101 with brew, it prints:

This formula is keg-only, which means it was not symlinked into /usr/local.

Apple has deprecated use of OpenSSL in favor of its own TLS and crypto
libraries

Generally there are no consequences of this for you. If you build your
own software and it requires this formula, you'll need to add to your
build variables:

    LDFLAGS:  -L/usr/local/opt/openssl101/lib
    CPPFLAGS: -I/usr/local/opt/openssl101/include

Maybe it is better to add this flags to the Makefile instead of requiring
the force --link, because this could potentially break other builds.

WDYT?
Benedikt

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
>I've found a fix, see [1]. Now I can publish the site. After the site has been published, I'll send an ANNOUNCE about the establishment of the Apache Commons Crypto Component.

I really appreciate your help, I will look into CRYPTO-57.

Regards
Dapeng

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRYPTO-57

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.