Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Fred Clausen <fr...@derf.nl> on 2011/08/18 11:51:46 UTC

Chainsaw v2 - do not convert log timestamps to local time zone.

Hello,

We have server logs from remote systems in other time zones and it would
be useful if I could get Chainsaw to use the time zone from which the
log files came instead of my local time zone. Then I can directly
compare with other logs on the same remote system.

We are using the log4j XML format - is this something which is supported?

Many thanks,

Fred.

AW: Chainsaw v2 - do not convert log timestamps to local time zone.

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
To speak the same language, LOCAL Chainsaw and REMOTE service, Chainsaw should in fact make use of the Time-Zone-Info (if any) in the Log-Event. Only then a local and a remote service person can talk about the same time. N'either it makes sense if Chainsaw talks in a universal time GMT and the Service generates a local time stamps. The two. Chainsaw and the service loggers must use the same time-zoon-info, whatever this is. Having services all over the world it could be worth speaking in GMT, or any other agreed universal clock. But then the service logger should stamp in GMT time all the logging-events.

Josef

Re: Chainsaw v2 - do not convert log timestamps to local time zone.

Posted by Fred Clausen <fr...@derf.nl>.
On 18/08/2011 16:39, Scott Deboy wrote:
> You can adjust what timezone is used to render timestamps in Chainsaw.
>
> Go to current tab menu, tab preferences (or use the context menu available
> in the tab's table), choose the formatting category and provide a value in
> the 'timezone of event's field.

Thanks! I will try this out shortly.

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.