Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/02/26 05:44:55 UTC

what is server side javascript?

and what is the difference between server side java, server side
javascript and java servlets?

Re: what is server side javascript?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > Server side javascript is just what it sounds like; JavaScript on the
> > server side. It's supported by some of the Netscape servers, I think. I
> > think it's sort of like writing ASP with JScript as the script engine
> > instead of Visual Basic (which ASP lets you do). But I might be wrong.
>
> Erm.  Ok.  I'm waiting for them to come up with router-side Javascript.
> "save CPU cycles by offloading your Javascript onto all the overpowered,
> underused router CPUs between the server and the client!  Speeds up
>
> So we do (with extra modules) server side Java, we do servlets, but we
> don't do server side Javascript, right?

Well, actually, with my ASP module, we do do server side Javascript. On
Win32.

Now, if I can find the time/energy to implement all the server objects
and stuff, then we do proper ASP.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: what is server side javascript?

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ta...@prairie.NoDak.edu>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > Server side javascript is just what it sounds like; JavaScript on the
> > server side. It's supported by some of the Netscape servers, I think. I
> > think it's sort of like writing ASP with JScript as the script engine
> > instead of Visual Basic (which ASP lets you do). But I might be wrong.
>
> Erm.  Ok.  I'm waiting for them to come up with router-side Javascript.
> "save CPU cycles by offloading your Javascript onto all the overpowered,
> underused router CPUs between the server and the client!  Speeds up

It may sound funny but this is a hot area of research right now :) It's
called active networking. I don't believe in it myself but there are
several projects (a lab at MIT, etc) on that. I especially like their
example of how active networks could help the Web: they propose Web
proxies within network routers!

There are some more realistic examples though, e.g., application-
controled congestion avoidance. Before sending data, apps inject
their own "packet droppers" that would for example drop an entire
video frame if one packet has been lost.

igor

Re: what is server side javascript?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Jeremie Miller wrote:

> Microsoft's version of JavaScript has always been available in source
> code:
> http://www.microsoft.com/jscript/us/techinfo/src_lic.htm
>
> I'm no lawyer, but the license scares me.  Netscape has always made their

Hehe.  Yea, they specify you must have an "about box":

     (b) All distributions must provide the following attribution in
     both the "about box" and in any printed/online documentation: "This
     application uses JScript from Microsoft Corporation."

[...]
     (e) Access to the JS Code shall only be at secure Licensee
     facilities where Licensee takes all reasonable steps necessary to
     protect the security and the confidentiality of the JS Code; and

Re: what is server side javascript?

Posted by Jeremie Miller <je...@netins.net>.
Microsoft's version of JavaScript has always been available in source
code:
http://www.microsoft.com/jscript/us/techinfo/src_lic.htm

I'm no lawyer, but the license scares me.  Netscape has always made their
version's source available too, but only to those that are part of their
developer program.

Netscape may release the source to their JavaScript implimentation
independently from the browser's source(or so I've heard), but I don't
know if it would be under whatever license they choose for the browser or
a different one.

I have yet to find any other "free" versions out there, or any projects to
create one.  I think it would be a very powerful option to add to mod_php,
and maybe that can happen based on Netscapes source release...???

BTW, most people consider JavaScript a "toy" or amateur's language, but it
is in fact a complete, simple, OO language, which is quite powerful(I've
already written an XML parser in it :).  It's going to become even more
powerful and common as DOM and XML/XSL take their place in the industry.

Jeremie Miller
jer@jeremie.com
http://www.jeremie.com/

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > So we do (with extra modules) server side Java, we do servlets, but we
> > don't do server side Javascript, right?
>
> Right, but we do server-side Perl via mod_perl and server-side PHP via
> mod_php.  Both of which are far more useful if you ask me.

More useful doesn't count when you are filling out features tables.  Hmm.
No, no place to include stuff like mod_perl and mod_php.  Sigh.  Well... I
guess they could nearly fit into the "other APIs" section sortof.  But not
really.

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.