Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Julia Reynolds <jr...@Cleartrack.com> on 2005/03/14 16:50:11 UTC

correlation between test parameters and reality?

I saw a post on the list last week indicating that
a 200 user thread group in a JMeter test equates
to about 25% as many real users.  Did I read that
correctly?  Is there a reference somewhere to help
me communicate the correlation between JMeter user
loads and actual users?

Thanks,

Julia

Re: correlation between test parameters and reality?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi julia,

I was responding to a user who wanted to simulate 200 concurrent
users.  The best way to figure out what the real concurrent requests
per second or per millisecond is look at the access logs.

think of it another way. A human being usually reads and navigates a
site at a much slower pace than what JMeter or testing tools can
generate. for example, if I'm reading email on google, I may click a
link once every 30-90 seconds. the chances of other users refreshing
their inbox view at the same time is relatively low, especially when
you consider network traffic.

Most sites that I've worked on use concurrent requests to measure the
system load. generally speaking, these statistics are generated
nightly for reporting and planning purposes. therefore these numbers
tend to be available. when they aren't available, I will fid the logs
and run some analysis for a couple months of traffic.

I hope that helps

peter