Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by James H Nguyen <ja...@us.ibm.com> on 2003/03/24 17:14:47 UTC

Re: Portlet API Requirements

i'm pretty sure someone might have brought this up already, but has anyone
thought about including some APIs to also handle skins selection? i've seen
the way jetspeed currently handles skins, but it's not as fexible as i
thought it could be.

for instance when i worked on a skins templating system for another open
source portal system, i allowed modules or portlets to define their own set
of skins and if they are not defined, they would default to the system
skin. not only that, but skins where actually a set of html templates used,
not just changing the css such as the current method. i could be wrong
though on the current method, but that's my impression from using the
jetspeed portal. some please correct me if i am incorrect, i would hope
that i am because it's what skins are suppose to be able to do.. define
it's own separate html template from the default system one. hopefully the
api will be generic enough to handle any templating system a project wishes
to use by doing a simple swap.

please contact me for further implementation details if anyone is
interested in this idea. i think this would be a great addition to this
Portlet API before everything gets finalized.

thanks.

james nguyen
ibm global services
ams enterprise application development