Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com> on 2012/01/11 22:37:11 UTC

HBASE-5073 impact...

Hi dev-list,

With respect to HBASE-5073 and invoking the admin API and producing
slowdowns, was the workaround (without the patch) that the client be
restarted, or the entire cluster?  I see the patch has been back-ported to
90.6 but I wanted to doc this if it was warranted.

Also, regarding...

"As Lars mentioned admin apis like flush and compact will also slow down
the client."

... in terms of "slowing down the client", is this referring to the fact
that subsequent requests will have to content with increased activity on
RegionServers (e.g., due to compaction and the file-writing) will
experience?  Or is there something else going on?

Again, wanted to doc this if it was warranted.

RE: HBASE-5073 impact...

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi Doug

As you said HBASE-5073 ensures that no client leaks happen.  It is a problem
in the client and it is not a reflection of RS activity.  So people using
version prior to 0.90.6 needs to do some workaround w.r.t to client and not
the RS.

Hope am answering your query.  Thanks for the follow up.

Regards
Ram

Hi folks, I just want to follow-up on this one more time.

Is there anything funky happening in the client that "slows things down"
when these methods are called, or is it a reflection of RS activity?

Re: HBASE-5073 impact...

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Ahhh...  This truly was a client-side problem.  Thanks for the
clarification!

Re: HBASE-5073 impact...

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.

Re: HBASE-5073 impact...