Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> on 2004/02/12 07:25:52 UTC

[digester] attribute substitution/variable expansion

Hi Robert,

A while ago there was some discussion about the newly added
MultiVariableExpander, and whether or not there was also a need for a
simple VariableExpander implementation.

You were going to look into whether MultiVariableExpander implements a
true superset of ant variable-expansion behaviour or not (I believe it
does).

Did you make any progress on this? Is there anything that I can help
with? I know you're rather busy on Betwixt at the moment, but I would
like to keep some momentum towards a Digester 1.6 release too, if
possible.

Cheers,

Simon

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 16 Feb 2004, at 21:53, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> We still depend on BeanUtils, and BeanUtils currently depends on
> collections. Unless we wait for BeanUtils to make a new
> collections-independent release, we can't completely rid digester of
> the
> collections jar.

when craig or get some time, i expect that the dependency from
beanutils will also be removed (or at least factored into an optional
package).

- robert

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 16 Feb 2004, at 21:53, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> Robert, what are the plans for the next BeanUtils release? Should we
> delay the next Digester release until then?

beanutils is pretty much in the same boat as digester. (i've cut the
last few releases but i'm not willing to cut any more.)

- robert

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 10:38, David Graham wrote:
> Any chance the commons-collections usage can be removed for this release?  This was brought up earlier and seemed to be supported.  The last I checked digester made a very minimal use of commons-collections anyways.  Other packages using digester don't need collections and it's a rather big dependency to carry around in addition to the recent 3.0 incompatible changes.

Craig Mcc. committed changes to implement this just a few days ago for
the Digester code itself.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>:

> Any chance the commons-collections usage can be removed for this release?
> This was brought up earlier and seemed to be supported.  The last I checked
> digester made a very minimal use of commons-collections anyways.  Other
> packages using digester don't need collections and it's a rather big
> dependency to carry around in addition to the recent 3.0 incompatible
> changes.

I did indeed decouple commons-digester's direct dependency on collections.

Unless someone has fixed it already (I'm a week behind due to a trip where I
didn't have time to read Apache mail lists), BeanUtils still has a dependency
on commons-collections (for WeakHashMap primarily, IIRC).  It should be
reasonably easy to fix.

> David

Craig McClanahan

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i think that craig has already handled this.

- robert

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:
On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 04:52, Simon Kitching wrote:

> I only see *one* item as needing to be done prior to a release

Oh - and change the licence to version 2.0.

The email discussion about "permission to relicense" has died away.
I saw Craig's email saying it was ok, but nothing from the ASF
officially. If necessary, I could grep out all the @author tags and
check against the ASF contributors list....

I saw a few links to apps for auto-changing the license text. I'm happy
to do chase these down, run them & commit the updates unless there are
objections, or someone else prefers to do this.

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 22 Feb 2004, at 23:04, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Quoting robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

that's i used to think that but my opinions changed. (i'd like to
gracefully bow out of a discussion since i'm now trying to avoid ASF
politics :)

- robert

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

> On 16 Feb 2004, at 23:02, Martin Cooper wrote:

Craig

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

[beanutils] question about BeanUtils.setProperty()

Posted by Otto von Wachter <vo...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

When I call:

BeanUtils.setProperty(target, "someIntegerProp", null);

it sets the property to 0 instead of leaving it setting it
to null or leaving it as it is.

This behavior seems wrong to me. It seems like setting it
to null should be the expected behavior, but even leaving
it as is would be better.

I suspect this is the reason that I'm having trouble with
Struts forms, because I start with a form with null
properties but I get it back with all set to Integer(0).

Does anyone know anything about this? I really would love
it if my Struts forms worked correctly... any help is
appreciated :)

It looks like I'm using version 1.6 of beanutils

Regards,
Otto

RE: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 16 Feb 2004, at 02:52, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 11:43, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> On 12 Feb 2004, at 06:25, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

>> the second is the state of the code. i'm of the opinion that the
>> digester team has been at fault in not releasing often enough. so i'd
>> be happy to push towards a quick 1.6 if a suitable volunteer could be
>> found. there are a number of extra features i'd really like to see in
>> digester but i don't regard them as blockers.
>
> Ouch. The "digester team" is really you + me, and mostly you. [Though
> Craig did pop up again recently].

craig's the spiritual leader of digester. he's sometimes busy and
sometimes very busy but he's (in many ways) irreplaceable.

but the team is really much wider: jakarta commons is (or intends to
be) a single community. we're one big team here. if you (or any other
commons committer) want to make a contribution to any other component,
all you have to do is ask and then add yourself to the list of
committers for that component. there are dozen or so pmc members in the
commons teams who have the skills to cut releases.

> Is there anyone out there willing to be the release manager for
> Digester
> version 1.6? I'm happy to do most of the work, but have not been
> involved in any commons release before.

it's up to you but i'm not willing to cast binding release votes.

i know it's hard but things in jakarta (and the ASF) are changing. like
a supertanker, it takes a long time to change direction but once it
starts to happen, the process gains an unstoppable momentum of it's
own. if it's to survive, jakarta will have to find ways to allow
projects to create releases in the new structure. once that's sorted

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 11:43, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2004, at 06:25, Simon Kitching wrote:
>
> > Hi Robert,
>
> hi simon
>
> > A while ago there was some discussion about the newly added
> > MultiVariableExpander, and whether or not there was also a need for a
> > simple VariableExpander implementation.
> >
> > You were going to look into whether MultiVariableExpander implements a
> > true superset of ant variable-expansion behaviour or not (I believe it
> > does).
> >
> > Did you make any progress on this?
>
> nope, it was just an idea. like many ideas,
>
> > Is there anything that I can help with?
>
> if you fancy taking a crack at it, that'd be cool. i wouldn't describe
> it as a blocker, though.

Fine. Then let's leave things as they are. If, post-release we find that
the MultiVariableExpander doesn't cut it for some people then a
SimpleVariableExpander can be added. If the MultiVariableExpander works
for everyone, we can later rename it (and deprecate the old name).

> i'd also really like to add solid handling for
> processing instructions. this is also looking for a volunteer but
> again, this isn't a blocker.

I saw the discussions done earlier. However this isn't something I
currently have much interest in, and no volunteers appear to be popping
up. I'm keen to release without it.

> > I know you're rather busy on Betwixt at the moment, but I would
> > like to keep some momentum towards a Digester 1.6 release too, if
> > possible.
>
> there are really two different issues.
>
> the first is finding a release manager. it's not possible for me to act
> as release manager now. (i'm now of the opinion that release managers
> should be current members of the jakarta pmc.) nor is it possible for
> me to cast binding votes on release related matters (for similar
> reasons). so, a volunteer would need to be found to take on this role.

> the second is the state of the code. i'm of the opinion that the
> digester team has been at fault in not releasing often enough. so i'd
> be happy to push towards a quick 1.6 if a suitable volunteer could be
> found. there are a number of extra features i'd really like to see in
> digester but i don't regard them as blockers.

Ouch. The "digester team" is really you + me, and mostly you. [Though
Craig did pop up again recently].

Is there anyone out there willing to be the release manager for Digester
version 1.6? I'm happy to do most of the work, but have not been
involved in any commons release before.

> of course, i'd be interested to hear what other people think about
> release a 1.6.

I only see *one* item as needing to be done prior to a release, and
that's up to me. The plugins module mechanism for finding the dynamic
rules to be loaded is currently "monolithic", and needs to be broken out
into a set of "strategy" implementations. This also needs to be done in
order to break the hard-wired English xml attribute names currently
assumed.

I've had a couple of goes at this, but not been satisfied with the
result. I'll try again this weekend.

Craig/Robert: Digester does have some open bugs in bugzilla that I think
can be closed: 599. 12997 3983, 23001. They've all got comments against
them from me. If you could check/close these I think that would be easy
& useful.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [digester] attribute substitution/variable expansion

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 12 Feb 2004, at 06:25, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi Robert,

hi simon

> A while ago there was some discussion about the newly added
> MultiVariableExpander, and whether or not there was also a need for a
> simple VariableExpander implementation.
>
> You were going to look into whether MultiVariableExpander implements a
> true superset of ant variable-expansion behaviour or not (I believe it
> does).
>
> Did you make any progress on this?

nope, it was just an idea. like many ideas,

> Is there anything that I can help with?

if you fancy taking a crack at it, that'd be cool. i wouldn't describe
it as a blocker, though. i'd also really like to add solid handling for