Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by James Thornton <ja...@jamesthornton.com> on 2015/11/25 15:39:04 UTC

Geode on OSv & Seastar?

Hello -

Roman Shaposhnik gave a talk on OSv (http://osv.io/) at CF Summit 2014:

Pivotal - OSv: Probably the Best OS for Cloud Workloads You've Never Heard
Of (CF Summit 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGmKVtvfOaQ

Here's a link to the OSv paper:

   -
   https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc14/atc14-paper-kivity.pdf
   -
   https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc14/technical-sessions/presentation/kivity

OSv was developed by the team behind the KVM hypervisor. They also released an
Apache 2 library called Seastar, a networking stack/fabric that uses
Intel's DPDK.

   - http://www.seastar-project.org
   - https://github.com/scylladb/seastar/wiki

Has Geode been tested on OSv, and has anyone looked into integrating
Seastar with Geode?

- James

--
James Thornton, *http://electricspeed.com <http://electricspeed.com>*

Re: Geode on OSv & Seastar?

Posted by Greg Chase <gc...@gmail.com>.
Not yet - know someone who wants to try? They can discuss results at a next virtual meeting.

This email encrypted by tiny buttons & fat thumbs, beta voice recognition, and autocorrect on my iPhone.

Re: Geode on OSv & Seastar?

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
I've played with OSv as well and got some problems with forking processes
that got solved later.

Pekka Enberg was helping and provided some guidance as well but I end up
stopping my experiment.

Roman already passed those problems, so I'd love to start hacking on that
again as well.

About Seastar that would be really interesting to take a look for a Geode
Native client implementation.

--

William Markito Oliveira
-- For questions about Apache Geode, please write to

Re: Geode on OSv & Seastar?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

RE: Geode on OSv & Seastar?

Posted by theseusyang <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dor,

I have done a short comparation, geode vs scylladb on three aspects, memory,
disk, network.
From the whole distributed system's architecture, there are many
similarities between geode and scylladb, share-nothing distribution,
consistency level, client-server access mode, however some essential
differences also be explicited.

I did a summary table,

<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/over_arch_1.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/over_archi_2.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/mem_model.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/mem_mngt.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/disk_operation.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/network_mngt.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/program_model.png>
<http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/file/n6555/HW_config.png>

RE: Geode on OSv & Seastar?

Posted by Dor Ben Dov <do...@amdocs.com>.
theseus yang

Can you share your research about ScyllaDB & Seastar?

Dor