Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by tomerg <to...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/15 20:46:12 UTC

using rank queries(rq) with grouping in solr cloud

hey,

i'm using solr 6.5.1 with solrCloud mode.
i use grouping for my results.
i want to use rank query(rq) in order to rerank the top groups(with ltr).
it's ok for me to rerank the groups  only by reranking one of the documents
in the group.
i saw in issue SOLR-8776 that  rank queries doesn't  support  grouping.
(link here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776).

so i have a few questions:
1. there is some way to bypass this problem(or use some other existing
features of solr to achieve similar results?
2. if there is no other way, i would like  to implement a component to
achieve this functionality(i don't want to patch the code of solr itself).
do you have a suggestion what might be the best way to implement a rerank of
groups in cloud mode?
can i implement something that rerank the groups for every shard before
merging  or there is a way to create component that rerank only the merged
result list from the shards?

thanks,
tomerg

Re: using rank queries(rq) with grouping in solr cloud

Posted by Diego Ceccarelli <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomerg,

1. Did you consider using the collapse component?
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/collapse-and-expand-results.html
it is compatible with rq.

2. If you implement group reranking as a separate component you will
end up with a lot of code duplicated from QueryComponent, you could
use SOLR-8776 - I'm going to update it to master soon.

Another possible solution is to have a component that asks for the top
$rerank groups to the shards and then just do the reranking on top of
them in the federator, but it could be expensive.

Cheers,
Diego