Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Chris Sciarrino <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/07 18:37:48 UTC

Prevent users from deploying instances

Hi,

Is it possible to prevent users from deploying their own instances but
still have access to cloudstack for creating snapshots and powering on/off
etc? Their instances would be assigned from an admin account. I see the
option on the user account for instance limits, but setting that to 0
prevents me from assigning VMs. Just wondering if there is another way to
do it on CS 4.2.

Thanks

Re: Prevent users from deploying instances

Posted by Chris Sciarrino <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nitin,

That is correct they would be created as admin/domain admin and then
assigned to the end user account using assignVirtualMachine api which
Jessica looks like she is adding the functionality to the UI in 4.2.1
(CLOUDSTACK-4796).

In order for this use case to be functional through the UI the admin
would also have to be able to create a network on the destination
account (CLOUDSTACK-4831) so that they could assign the virtual
machine and then create the necessary port forwarding rules for the
user in order to allow access via vnc, rdp etc. As well as specify the
correct IP address for the instance during its deployment as the
template may have been built using a hardcoded IP in its network
configuration (CLOUDSTACK-4818).

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.
There was some discussion about a new RBAC framework sometimes back. It should have some provision to address the below use case.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chris Sciarrino <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nitin,

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.