Posted to bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 2006/10/24 08:45:40 UTC

Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Hi Anthony,

Anthony Elder wrote:
> Yes! That would be great.  Actually I was just looking at the code over the
> weekend, its a bit behind the most recent spec, i've a patch to fix some of
> that if you'd like it.

*Definitely* !

Also, one idea would be to employ BSF 2.x engines within BSF 3, if no
BSF 3 engine of the same name is available, leveraging the BSF 2 work.

---

Sanka, Nanka could you comment, please ?

Regards,

---rony

P.S.: Sanka and Nanka are the authors of the present version of the BSF
3.0 code. According to the "game plan" it is now time to roll-out BSF
3.0 as beta.

Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by Sanka Samaranayke <ss...@gmail.com>.

using JSR-223 engines as BSF scripting engines ( Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Anthony,
> An alternative to what you suggest about employing a BSF2 engine within
> BSF3 is the reverse - a BSF2 engine that can use any JSR-223 engine. I've
> one of those over in Tuscany [1]. Not sure how useful this really is but it
> does mean you may be able to reuse an existing BSF2 application and have it
> pick up one of the latest JSR-223 engines.

Sounds *very* useful to me! (Actually, "sounds" even nicer than the
other idea.)

What do others on this list think about this?

> [1]
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/ant/container.script/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/container/script/jsr223/JSR223BSFEngine.java

Looks great!

Regards,

---rony

Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by Anthony Elder <an...@uk.ibm.com>.
Unfortunately the wheels turn very slowly so please don't be waiting for
me.

       ...ant

Sanka Samaranayke <ss...@gmail.com> on 18/11/2006 14:17:27

Please respond to "Bean Scripting Framework developers"
       <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>

To:    Bean Scripting Framework developers <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:    Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

sounds good to me !!

Ant, did you got the approval to contribute your work to BSF?

What is the status of the patch for making the current codebase
compliant with
latest spec.?

Sanka.

Anthony Elder wrote:
> An alternative to what you suggest about employing a BSF2 engine within
> BSF3 is the reverse - a BSF2 engine that can use any JSR-223 engine. I've
> one of those over in Tuscany [1]. Not sure how useful this really is but
it
> does mean you may be able to reuse an existing BSF2 application and have
it
> pick up one of the latest JSR-223 engines.
>
> ...ant
>
> [1]

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/ant/container.script/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/container/script/jsr223/JSR223BSFEngine.java

> "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 24/10/2006 07:45:40
>
> Please respond to "Bean Scripting Framework developers"
> <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
>
> To: Bean Scripting Framework developers <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
> cc:
> Subject: Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...
>

> Hi Anthony,
>
> Anthony Elder wrote:
>> Yes! That would be great. Actually I was just looking at the code over
> the
>> weekend, its a bit behind the most recent spec, i've a patch to fix some
> of
>> that if you'd like it.
>>
> *Definitely* !
>
> Also, one idea would be to employ BSF 2.x engines within BSF 3, if no
> BSF 3 engine of the same name is available, leveraging the BSF 2 work.
>
> ---
>
> Sanka, Nanka could you comment, please ?
>
> Regards,
>
> ---rony
>
> P.S.: Sanka and Nanka are the authors of the present version of the BSF
> 3.0 code. According to the "game plan" it is now time to roll-out BSF
> 3.0 as beta.

- --
Sanka Samaranayake
WSO2 Inc.

T:+94-77-3506382
F:+94-11-2424304

http://sankas.blogspot.com/
http://www.wso2.net/

Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by Sanka Samaranayke <ss...@gmail.com>.

Anthony Elder wrote:
> An alternative to what you suggest about employing a BSF2 engine within
> BSF3 is the reverse - a BSF2 engine that can use any JSR-223 engine. I've
> one of those over in Tuscany [1]. Not sure how useful this really is but it
> does mean you may be able to reuse an existing BSF2 application and have it
> pick up one of the latest JSR-223 engines.
>
> ...ant
>
> [1]
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/ant/container.script/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/container/script/jsr223/JSR223BSFEngine.java
>

> "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 24/10/2006 07:45:40
>
> Please respond to "Bean Scripting Framework developers"
> <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
>
> To: Bean Scripting Framework developers <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
> cc:
> Subject: Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...
>

> Hi Anthony,
>
> Anthony Elder wrote:
>> Yes! That would be great. Actually I was just looking at the code over
> the
>> weekend, its a bit behind the most recent spec, i've a patch to fix some
> of
>> that if you'd like it.
>>
> *Definitely* !
>
> Also, one idea would be to employ BSF 2.x engines within BSF 3, if no
> BSF 3 engine of the same name is available, leveraging the BSF 2 work.
>
> ---
>
> Sanka, Nanka could you comment, please ?
>
> Regards,
>
> ---rony
>
> P.S.: Sanka and Nanka are the authors of the present version of the BSF
> 3.0 code. According to the "game plan" it is now time to roll-out BSF
> 3.0 as beta.

- --
Sanka Samaranayake
WSO2 Inc.

T:+94-77-3506382
F:+94-11-2424304

http://sankas.blogspot.com/
http://www.wso2.net/

Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by Anthony Elder <an...@uk.ibm.com>.
An alternative to what you suggest about employing a BSF2 engine within
BSF3 is the reverse - a BSF2 engine that can use any JSR-223 engine. I've
one of those over in Tuscany [1]. Not sure how useful this really is but it
does mean you may be able to reuse an existing BSF2 application and have it
pick up one of the latest JSR-223 engines.

   ...ant

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/ant/container.script/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/container/script/jsr223/JSR223BSFEngine.java

"Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 24/10/2006 07:45:40

Please respond to "Bean Scripting Framework developers"
       <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>

To:    Bean Scripting Framework developers <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:

Hi Anthony,

patches for BSF 3.0 ( Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Anthony,
> Sorry its taking a while to get approval to contribute, hopefully will
> happen in not too much longer but in the meantime if anyone else wants to
> look at this just say and I could give a few pointers to all the bits i
> found that needed updating.

"here, here" !
:)

Please "show them off", maybe sending them to Sanka or myself, if you
think they are too voluminuous for the list !
(Sanka et.al. are very interested in this as well, AFAICT!)

Regards,

---rony

Re: RFC ad BSF 3.0 ...

Posted by Anthony Elder <an...@uk.ibm.com>.
Sorry its taking a while to get approval to contribute, hopefully will
happen in not too much longer but in the meantime if anyone else wants to
look at this just say and I could give a few pointers to all the bits i
found that needed updating.

       ...ant

"Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 24/10/2006 07:45:40

Please respond to "Bean Scripting Framework developers"
       <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>

To:    Bean Scripting Framework developers <bs...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:

Hi Anthony,