Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Axel Irriger <ir...@web.de> on 2013/04/13 20:09:38 UTC

Cloudstack 4.0.1 single host installation -> no networking?

Hi everybody

I try to install CloudStack on Ubuntu 12.04 on a single host (as a test
installation) and I'm a bit stuck on networking.

Here's my setup:

                HP n40l

                1 NIC, DHCP'ed to 192.168.2.199

                Gateway and DNS 192.168.2.1 (my router)

A basic zone with the following IP ranges configured:

Guest IP ranges 192.168.2.60-192.168.2.70

Management IP range 192.168.2.50 - 192.168.2.59

Virtual router config is empty

Security groups setup is:
Ingress TCP 1-1024, UDP 1-1026, ICMP -1 -1. All with CIDR 0/0

I configured networking like this:

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

# Public network

auto cloudbr0

iface cloudbr0 inet manual

    bridge_ports eth0.200

    bridge_fd 5

    bridge_stp off

    bridge_maxwait 1

# Private network

auto cloudbr1

iface cloudbr1 inet manual

    bridge_ports eth0.300

    bridge_fd 5

    bridge_stp off

    bridge_maxwait 1

My cloud agent configuration does look like this:

#Storage

#Wed Apr 10 18:18:19 CEST 2013

guest.network.device=cloudbr0

workers=5

private.network.device=cloudbr1

port=8250

resource=com.cloud.hypervisor.kvm.resource.LibvirtComputingResource

pod=1

zone=1

guid=b06aff50-b93c-3479-8f5c-16c2e621e197

public.network.device=cloudbr0

cluster=1

local.storage.uuid=98afc039-4cd8-4be1-b1eb-1d8a2d747753

domr.scripts.dir=scripts/network/domr/kvm

LibvirtComputingResource.id=5

host=192.168.2.199

Initially, with only the management server running, my iptables does look
like this:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 13259 packets, 1942K bytes)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:domain

    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
tcp dpt:domain

    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:bootps

    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
tcp dpt:bootps

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    virbr0  anywhere
192.168.122.0/24     state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  virbr0 any     192.168.122.0/24     anywhere

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  virbr0 virbr0  anywhere             anywhere

    0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    virbr0  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

    0     0 REJECT     all  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 13141 packets, 1962K bytes)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

My ebtables config:

Bridge table: filter

Bridge chain: INPUT, entries: 0, policy: ACCEPT

Bridge chain: FORWARD, entries: 0, policy: ACCEPT

Bridge chain: OUTPUT, entries: 0, policy: ACCEPT

Then, I start the cloud-agent. This leads to a zone getting enabled and two
system VMs being started. Now, ebtables still is completely empty.

Though, iptables now looks like this:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 23083 packets, 72M bytes)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:domain

    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
tcp dpt:domain

    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:bootps

    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
tcp dpt:bootps

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 BF-cloudbr0  all  --  any    cloudbr0  anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 BF-cloudbr0  all  --  cloudbr0 any     anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 DROP       all  --  any    cloudbr0  anywhere
anywhere

    0     0 DROP       all  --  cloudbr0 any     anywhere
anywhere

    0     0 BF-cloudbr1  all  --  any    cloudbr1  anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 BF-cloudbr1  all  --  cloudbr1 any     anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 DROP       all  --  any    cloudbr1  anywhere
anywhere

    0     0 DROP       all  --  cloudbr1 any     anywhere
anywhere

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    virbr0  anywhere
192.168.122.0/24     state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  virbr0 any     192.168.122.0/24     anywhere

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  virbr0 virbr0  anywhere             anywhere

    0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    virbr0  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

    0     0 REJECT     all  --  virbr0 any     anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 22646 packets, 75M bytes)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain BF-cloudbr0 (2 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

    0     0 BF-cloudbr0-IN  all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-in --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 BF-cloudbr0-OUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-out --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out eth0.200 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain BF-cloudbr0-IN (1 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 v-2-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet2 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 s-1-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet5 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain BF-cloudbr0-OUT (1 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 v-2-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out vnet2 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 s-1-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out vnet5 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain BF-cloudbr1 (2 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

    0     0 BF-cloudbr1-IN  all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-in --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 BF-cloudbr1-OUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-is-out --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out eth0.300 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain BF-cloudbr1-IN (1 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 v-2-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet1 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 s-1-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet4 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 s-1-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet6 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain BF-cloudbr1-OUT (1 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 v-2-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out vnet1 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 s-1-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out vnet4 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 s-1-VM     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-out vnet6 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain s-1-VM (6 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet4 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet6 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet5 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain v-2-VM (4 references)

pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet1 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vnet2 --physdev-is-bridged

    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere

If I check the system VMs in the dashboard, the secondary storage VM is
configured like this:

Public IP Address

192.168.2.60

Private IP Address

192.168.2.50

Link Local IP Adddress

169.254.0.234

Host

n40l

Gateway

192.168.2.1

The console proxy vm is configured like this:

Public IP Address

192.168.2.61

Private IP Address

192.168.2.56

Link Local IP Adddress

169.254.1.46

Host

n40l

Gateway

192.168.2.1

I can reach both VMs using link local IP address, but besides that the VMs
are completely isolated and can't talk to anything on the net or the host.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards and thanks for your help,

Axel

Re: Cloudstack 4.0.1 single host installation -> no networking?

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
on the hypervisor, does it look like the vm's nics are being bridged to the
proper interface? I dont know much about kvm, but I believe thats all that
cloudstack is doing.

AW: Cloudstack 4.0.1 single host installation -> no networking?

Posted by Axel Irriger <ir...@web.de>.
Hey,

thanks for answering! Sadly, my DHCP server does not grant addresses to
cloudstack, but cloudstack does assign them automagically.

>From what I see (think to understand), traffic does not gets forwarded to
the VM's or from the VM's. Also, if I ssh to one of the system vms using the
link local IP address, I can't ping anything in the 192.168.2.0 subnet, even
though the config inside the system VM's look correct.

Any other ideas or information, which may help?

Beat regards,

Axel

the issue might be that you have a dhcp server in the 192.168.2.0/x subnet.
You might want to try to disable it, and statically assign an ip to your
host, or get your dhcp server to ignore the mac addresses cloudstack uses to

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
the issue might be that you have a dhcp server in the 192.168.2.0/x subnet.
You might want to try to disable it, and statically assign an ip to your
host, or get your dhcp server to ignore the mac addresses cloudstack uses
to create the vm's. I belive they start with 06.