Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by David Deeks <pr...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/27 17:08:01 UTC

Numbers automatically advance in spreadsheet columns

I have been an Open Office user for many years, but only recently discovered this group, and have already learned a couple of things!

I am hoping however that someone can help with a specific and longstanding problem with numbers in spreadsheet columns. If I have a cell with a number in that I want repeated down the column, I would love to able to simply highlight the cell and drag down the column. The problem is that in each line the numbers always increase by 1. This is useful of course sometimes, but not always! I have tried all formats, including text etc, and feel as though I’ve looked through every menu - but cannot find how to stop it doing this. I am sure there must be a way?

Thanks

David Deeks

Re: Numbers automatically advance in spreadsheet columns

Posted by "WA.TWORSX via AOL" <wa...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
TNX Alan:

I had experienced same as David did; now I know that I must hold Ctrl
key to repeat the number while dragging the mouse pointer.

Regards, and please ALL, stay safe.

VinceB.

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hello David,

wrote:

> I have been an Open Office user for many years, but only recently
> discovered this group, and have already learned a couple of things!
>
> I am hoping however that someone can help with a specific and longstanding
> problem with numbers in spreadsheet columns. If I have a cell with a number
> in that I want repeated down the column, I would love to able to simply
> highlight the cell and drag down the column. The problem is that in each
> line the numbers always increase by 1. This is useful of course sometimes,
> but not always! I have tried all formats, including text etc, and feel as
> though I’ve looked through every menu - but cannot find how to stop it
> doing this. I am sure there must be a way?
>
> Thanks
>
> David Deeks

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Numbers automatically advance in spreadsheet columns

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 18:08 27/04/2020 +0100, David Deeks wrote:
>I have been an Open Office user for many years, but only recently
>discovered this group, and have already learned a couple of things!

Only two?

;^)

>I am hoping however that someone can help with a specific and
>longstanding problem with numbers in spreadsheet columns. If I have
>a cell with a number in that I want repeated down the column, I
>would love to able to simply highlight the cell and drag down the
>column. The problem is that in each line the numbers always increase
>by 1. This is useful of course sometimes, but not always!

There are various ways to do this.

o (As someone has already said) Use Ctrl+fill instead of normal fill.

o Enter the same number again in the cell immediately below the
original. Select both cells. (Drag over them or use click and
Shift+click). Now fill down as usual.

o Select the entire range you want filled - including your original
cell. Go to Edit | Fill > | Down.

o For more complex requirements, select the entire range and use Edit
| Fill > | Series... .

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Numbers automatically advance in spreadsheet columns

Posted by David Deeks <da...@sunderland.ac.uk>.
Thanks for this - a really useful suggestion!

David D

Posted by Jean Lear <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@posteo.de>.
1) Mark the Cell

Posted by David Deeks <pr...@gmail.com>.
Brian, Alan

Thanks so much for your very prompt replies - problem solved!

Well pleased I discovered the group!

All best

David