Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk> on 2001/05/21 17:12:06 UTC

Editting server.xml with text editor

I am using Tomcat 4 b5 on a Mac OS X.

I can edit web.xml with my text editor, but not server.xml.

If I open server.xml in my text editor I get the following:

"         usersa password driverClassName org.hsql.jdbcDriver driverName
jdbc:HypersonicSQL:database  mail.smtp.host localhost    "

If I use pico in tcsh then I can see everything and I can edit the file
normally.

I have downloaded T4 twice (b3 and b5) but the problem remains.

Does anyone know why I cannot use my text editor to edit server.xml?

TIA and regards

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK

Re: Editing server.xml with text editor

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
Beau

Thanks for that. I tried CodeWarrior and it worked :-)

Re: Editting server.xml with text editor

Posted by Beau Bisquette <Be...@PostTool.com>.
Hi,

Don't know about OS X, but all the earlier Mac OSs use \r (0x0D) as the
line terminator ... and do not see the Unix \n (0x0A).  Probably the file
that appears correctly has \r\n pairs -- likely 'cause it came from a
DOS/Windows box.

If you use BBEdit, I believe you can tell it that the file is from a Unix
machine, and it will then understand the line terminators.

hth,

Beau.

At 05/21/2001 16:12 +0100, Harry Mantheakis wrote:

>I am using Tomcat 4 b5 on a Mac OS X.
>I can edit web.xml with my text editor, but not server.xml.
>If I open server.xml in my text editor I get the following:
>
>"         usersa password driverClassName org.hsql.jdbcDriver driverName
>jdbc:HypersonicSQL:database  mail.smtp.host localhost    "
>
>If I use pico in tcsh then I can see everything and I can edit the file
>normally.
>I have downloaded T4 twice (b3 and b5) but the problem remains.
>Does anyone know why I cannot use my text editor to edit server.xml?

Beau Bisquette
TPC Productions
Oakland, California