Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jan Grant <Ja...@bristol.ac.uk> on 2002/08/14 14:42:58 UTC

Velocity/JSP was: Sub portals..me too

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Rutledge, Aaron wrote:

> BTW:  To the developers:  I can't believe you guys are developing two
> different templating systems--Velocity and JSP.  Isn't this thing
> complicated enough?  It would be awesome if instead of having two
> template systems we had just one verbose set of JSP tags for describing
> templates.

I'm not a JS developer (well, I am, but a private one) but let me answer
this. Velocity is just another templating mechanism. If you don't want
to use it, then you're free to ignore it. I didn't think much of it (at
first) but having seen people use it for development, I'm coming around
to appreciating it.

If nothing else, once you've got the beans in place to successfully
support velocity users, you'll find that you've wound up with a
much more flexible framework for developing web views onto your app.

It's a kind of "suck it and see" thing - but if you don't have the time
or inclination, nobody's forcing you to suck anything :-)

jan

Talk is cheap: free, as in beer. As in Real Ale, not that Budweiser rubbish.