Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2015/06/01 21:36:54 UTC

Re: ClassNotFoundException : org.apache.flink.api.common.operators.util.UserCodeObjectWrapper, while trying to run locally

Hi Santosh,

sorry for the late reply.
I'm not 100% sure whats causing the issue. I'm not sure if the
ThreadPoolExecutor (which seems to start a Flink LocalExecutor in the
worker threads) is causing some issues.
Are the executors starting local Flink instances in parallel?

The last "Caused By" says: "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.flink.api.common.operators.util.UserCodeObjectWrapper", but I
doubt it was unable to find that class. Are you sure that you've copied the
entire stacktrace?
Maybe the thread pool is also cutting away the root cause?
Sorry, that I have to guess here, but I can not see an obvious reason for
this to fail.

If possible, can you share the code with us? Maybe that will also help us
to understand the issue.

Best,
Robert

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
I agree, this would be nice to support in Flink.

The important parts are on the client side (which may be embedded). The
classloaders are used there as part of the de-serialization of messages
that contain user-defined types (such as in collect() or in accumulators
and in exception reporting).

How are you starting the program in your web-app, by the way?

If you would be up for contributing this fix, that would be great! One
could approach this in two ways:

  - Simple, but not sure if completely future proof: we take always the
context classloader as the parent, and if that is null, the system class
loader

  - More elaborate: We allow to set a root classloader on the
ExecutionEnvironment. That one should be passed as parent class loader to
the Remote Executor and the Client.

Greetings,
Stephan

Posted by peterpanne <er...@peukert.org>.

--
View this message in context: http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ClassNotFoundException-org-apache-flink-api-common-operators-util-UserCodeObjectWrapper-while-tryingy-tp5922p9653.html
Sent from the Apache Flink Mailing List archive. mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Posted by peterpanne <er...@peukert.org>.
I am facing the same issue in a different setting:
I have a webapplication that calls the local flink execution.
Unfortunately the change in the bootloader chain introduces the described
problem

Boot classloader
App class-loader
webapp classloader (knows the flink-classes)

it seems that the InstantiationUtil from flink replaces the current context
class loader which knows about the flink classes with the blob-classloader
with does not have the webappclassloader as parent:

Boot classloader
App classloader
Flink's Blob classloader

This is obviously the same problem that also appears when running the local
flink election from within an eclipse plugin.

Could you help me here? What should I do to tell flink not to ignore the
webapp-classloader?

Best,
eric

--
View this message in context: http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ClassNotFoundException-org-apache-flink-api-common-operators-util-UserCodeObjectWrapper-while-tryingy-tp5922p9649.html

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Effectively, the method with the blob-classloader / parent classloader is
exactly intended to do that: Start with the app class path and add some
jars in addition, if you need to.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by gkrastev <jo...@gmail.com>.

View this message in context: http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ClassNotFoundException-org-apache-flink-api-common-operators-util-UserCodeObjectWrapper-while-tryingy-tp5922p7870.html

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by santosh_rajaguru <sa...@gmail.com>.
 I am using eclipse kepler

View this message in context: http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ClassNotFoundException-org-apache-flink-api-common-operators-util-UserCodeObjectWrapper-while-tryingy-tp5922p6143.html

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
What IDE are you using, that you have to refer to the dependencies as
plugins?

Posted by santosh_rajaguru <sa...@gmail.com>.

View this message in context: http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ClassNotFoundException-org-apache-flink-api-common-operators-util-UserCodeObjectWrapper-while-tryingy-tp5922p6087.html

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Can you tell us what you mean with "Plugin environment" ?

Posted by santosh_rajaguru <sa...@gmail.com>.
 Thanks Robert and Stephan.

View this message in context: http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ClassNotFoundException-org-apache-flink-api-common-operators-util-UserCodeObjectWrapper-while-tryingy-tp5922p5997.html

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
The stack trace looks really like the class "UserCodeObjectWrapper" was not
found.

That is a core Flink runtime class and the fact that it is missing
indicates that there is something inconsistent with your libraries. Either
some JAR files are missing or damaged.

Did you use a downloaded binary distribution, or did you build it yourself?
If you built it yourself, can you rebuild it and see if there was just some
some transient error in maven, or whether this is reproducible?