Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca> on 2006/11/09 15:00:57 UTC

mod_python 3.3.0-dev-20061109 available for testing (release candidate)

The mod_python 3.3-0-dev-20061109 tarball is available for testing.

We are almost ready for a 3.3.0 release. It's been a while since we've
had extensive testing of trunk and I think it would be wise to have a
preliminary testing round. Unless there are huge problems we'll do an
official beta next week. If it looks *really* good we might even jump
right to the release.

At this point svn trunk should be considered frozen execpt to fix issues
that testing exposes or minor documentation changes.

Here are the rules:

In order for a file to be officially announced, it has to be tested by
developers on the dev list. Anyone subscribed to this list can (and
should feel obligated to  :-)  ) test it, and provide feedback *to _this_
  list*! (Not the mod_python@modpython.org list, and preferably not me
personally).

The files are (temporarily) available here:

http://people.apache.org/~jgallacher/mod_python/dist/
http://people.apache.org/~jgallacher/mod_python/dist/mod_python-3.3.0-dev-20061109.tgz
http://people.apache.org/~jgallacher/mod_python/dist/mod_python-3.3.0-dev-20061109.tgz.md5

Please download it, then do the usual

$ ./configure --with-apxs=/wherever/it/is
$ make
$ (su)
# make install

Then (as non-root user!)

$ make check

Or for you Windows folks

$ cd test
$ python test.py

And see if any tests fail. If they pass, send a +1 to the list, if they
fail, send the details (the versions of OS, Apache, Apache-mpm, Python,
the test output, and suggestions, if any).

Please present your test results in the following format:
+1 OS version, Apache version (apache mpm), Python Version

For example:
+1 Linux Debian Sid, Apache 2.0.55 (mpm-worker), Python 2.3.5

Presenting your information in a consistent format will help in
tabulating the results. You can include additional information in each
section, just don't use extra commas. There is no need to include the
mod_python version in this string as that information is available in
the email subject. Who knows, one day I may actually write a script to
extract this information automatically.  :)

Thank you for your assistance,
Jim Gallacher

Re: mod_python 3.3.0-dev-20061109 available for testing (release candidate)

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
+1 Linux Ubuntu 6.06, Apache 2.0.55 (mpm-worker), Python 2.4.3
+1 Linux Debian Sarge, Apache 2.0.54 (mpm-prefork), Python 2.3.5
+1 Linux Debian Sarge, Apache 2.0.54 (mpm-prefork), Python 2.4.1
+1 Linux Debian Sid, Apache 2.2.3 (mpm-worker), Python 2.3.5
+1 Linux Debian Sid, Apache 2.2.3 (mpm-worker), Python 2.4.4
+1 Linux Debian Sid, Apache 2.2.3 (mpm-worker), Python 2.5

Re: apache 2.2.3 mod_python 3.3 on win32 looking good

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
I'm a little confused by your reply to your own message, Jeff. Did you
resolve the problems yourself, with Graham's suggestion wrt to the
vcproj file, or something else.

Jim

Posted by Jeff Robbins <je...@livedata.com>.

3.3 build problem on Win32

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
+1 Linux Slackware 10.2, Apache 2.2.3, Python 2.4.1

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
Jim Gallacher wrote:
> Jorey Bump wrote:
>>
>> I've installed it on a lightly used production server so I can test it
>> against some real-world apps. Initial testing indicates that it's
>> 10-20% slower than 3.2.10; I'm not sure why.
>
> Ouch. Is that from a benchmark or just a gut feeling?

It was from ab, running against my own handler and consistently getting
950+ requests/sec with 3.2.10. Then I stopped apache, installed 3.3,
started apache, and got no more than 850 requests/sec or worse.

I took it on faith that nothing could have changed in the environment in
the meantime, but I just switched back to 3.2.10 and am still
experiencing the lower numbers, so this is unlikely to be a mod_python
problem.

Moral: Don't trust benchmarks, and don't report the results without
exhaustive testing.

The sad part is that I want to know what caused the earlier performance
boost so I can get it back!

Re: mod_python 3.3.0-dev-20061109 available for testing (release candidate)

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
Jorey Bump wrote:
> Jim Gallacher wrote:
>> Jorey Bump wrote:
>>>
>>> As this is a minor version bump, is there a link to the changelog so
>>> we know what new behaviour to expect/test?
>>
>> Take a look at doc-html/app-changes-from-3.2.10.html in the tarball.
>
> That's a pretty sweet changelog. :)
>
>> If you have any of your own applications you'd like to test... so much
>> the better.
>
> I've installed it on a lightly used production server so I can test it
> against some real-world apps. Initial testing indicates that it's 10-20%
> slower than 3.2.10; I'm not sure why.

Ouch. Is that from a benchmark or just a gut feeling?

> Can I turn on the legacy importer with a runtime configuration, or do I
> need to recompile? I'd like to compare the two.

Turn it on in your runtime config:
PythonOption mod_python.legacy.importer *

Jim

Re: mod_python 3.3.0-dev-20061109 available for testing (release candidate)

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
Jorey Bump wrote:
> Jim Gallacher wrote:
>> The mod_python 3.3-0-dev-20061109 tarball is available for testing.
>
> As this is a minor version bump, is there a link to the changelog so we
> know what new behaviour to expect/test?

Take a look at doc-html/app-changes-from-3.2.10.html in the tarball.

I'd say the biggest thing is the new importer, which is not compatible
with python 2.2. MP 3.3 should still work with python 2.2 if you turn on
the legacy importer, but we are officially dropping 2.2 support.

The big thing with this tarball is to get test feedback on a broad range
of platforms for: ./configure; make; sudo make install; make check

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.

Posted by Ron Reisor <ro...@udel.edu>.
+1 MacOSX 10.4.8 (Intel), Apache 2.0.59 (mpm-prefork), Python 2.5

cheers,

Ron

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Jim Gallacher wrote:

> The mod_python 3.3-0-dev-20061109 tarball is available for testing.
>
> We are almost ready for a 3.3.0 release. It's been a while since we've had
> extensive testing of trunk and I think it would be wise to have a preliminary
> testing round. Unless there are huge problems we'll do an official beta next
> week. If it looks *really* good we might even jump right to the release.
>
> At this point svn trunk should be considered frozen execpt to fix issues that
> testing exposes or minor documentation changes.
>
> Here are the rules:
>
> In order for a file to be officially announced, it has to be tested by
> developers on the dev list. Anyone subscribed to this list can (and
> should feel obligated to  :-)  ) test it, and provide feedback *to _this_
> list*! (Not the mod_python@modpython.org list, and preferably not me
> personally).
>
> The files are (temporarily) available here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jgallacher/mod_python/dist/
> http://people.apache.org/~jgallacher/mod_python/dist/mod_python-3.3.0-dev-20061109.tgz
> http://people.apache.org/~jgallacher/mod_python/dist/mod_python-3.3.0-dev-20061109.tgz.md5
>
> Please download it, then do the usual
>
> $ ./configure --with-apxs=/wherever/it/is
> $ make
> $ (su)
> # make install
>
> Then (as non-root user!)
>
> $ make check
>
> Or for you Windows folks
>
> $ cd test
> $ python test.py
>
> And see if any tests fail. If they pass, send a +1 to the list, if they
> fail, send the details (the versions of OS, Apache, Apache-mpm, Python,
> the test output, and suggestions, if any).
>
> Please present your test results in the following format:
> +1 OS version, Apache version (apache mpm), Python Version
>
> For example:
> +1 Linux Debian Sid, Apache 2.0.55 (mpm-worker), Python 2.3.5
>
> Presenting your information in a consistent format will help in
> tabulating the results. You can include additional information in each
> section, just don't use extra commas. There is no need to include the
> mod_python version in this string as that information is available in
> the email subject. Who knows, one day I may actually write a script to
> extract this information automatically.  :)
>
> Thank you for your assistance,
> Jim Gallacher

Ron Reisor <ro...@udel.edu> (RWR3)
University of Delaware Information Technologies/Network and Systems Services
Computing Center/192 South Chapel Street/Newark DE, 19716
pgp finger print: 0D 73 06 6F D3 6A 99 D3  F5 D5 6E FF 3B B9 7C 2C