Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2000/11/20 16:11:26 UTC

RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/i18n/win32/iconv/ces - Newdirectory

+1...

is there disagreement with merging the three packages into one tree?
(iconv, iconv-extra and iconv-rfc1345)

is there disagreement with yanking the GPL'ed docs?

If not, Ryan, please relocate this as you move the APR into it's own
tree.  I was expecting you aught to kill this branch as you roll the
tarball (for alpha8) and rather than put it under win32, move it
to unix as you create the apr tree.

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/i18n/win32/iconv/ces - Newdirectory

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> [...]

+1 from me for moving to unix/iconv (Real Soon Now) and for teaching
configure and the unix i18n code when to use this (when somebody needs
it or somebody has the time)

> is there disagreement with merging the three packages into one tree?
> (iconv, iconv-extra and iconv-rfc1345)

I'll trust your judgement... my generic concern is that it be simple
to upgrade to a later version of the package

> is there disagreement with yanking the GPL'ed docs?

we have to do that, I imagine...  I guess we can replace it with a
single file that points to where the GPL-ed docs live?  (hopefully
that form of linking in GPL-ed stuff is o.k. :) )

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/i18n/win32/iconv/ces - Newdirectory

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > I will cvs rm -Rf that dir and cvs add it to i18n/unix in a half-hour
> > unless I get a -1.  This dir will be part of the alpha, but we won't be
> > using it, so it won't compile anywhere.
>
> Note that "make distclean" is broken: "make distclean" from the Apache
> base directory is going into the i18n/win32/iconv directory, but on my
> systems the Makefile is bogus so it blows, causing make distclean to
> abort.
>
> There is logic for distclean in Sasha-land (build/rules.mk) which
> looks for everything named "Makefile" and does make distclean there.
> We could perhaps tweak build/rules.mk, but I think in general we don't
> want anything named Makefile to be committed.

There are multiple problems with this.  1)  No Makefile should ever be
committed.  2)  build/rules.mk should never be going into APR to do a make
distclean.  It is up to APR to do the make distclean recursively, not
Apache.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/i18n/win32/iconv/ces - Newdirectory

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> > is there disagreement with yanking the GPL'ed docs?
> >
> > If not, Ryan, please relocate this as you move the APR into it's own
> > tree.  I was expecting you aught to kill this branch as you roll the
> > tarball (for alpha8) and rather than put it under win32, move it
> > to unix as you create the apr tree.
>
> I would prefer to do this is multiple stages.  In fact, this is completely
> new code, so let's just do the re-locate now.
>
> I will cvs rm -Rf that dir and cvs add it to i18n/unix in a half-hour
> unless I get a -1.  This dir will be part of the alpha, but we won't be
> using it, so it won't compile anywhere.

Note that "make distclean" is broken: "make distclean" from the Apache
base directory is going into the i18n/win32/iconv directory, but on my
systems the Makefile is bogus so it blows, causing make distclean to
abort.

There is logic for distclean in Sasha-land (build/rules.mk) which
looks for everything named "Makefile" and does make distclean there.
We could perhaps tweak build/rules.mk, but I think in general we don't
want anything named Makefile to be committed.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

> > is there disagreement with yanking the GPL'ed docs?
> >
> > If not, Ryan, please relocate this as you move the APR into it's own
> > tree.  I was expecting you aught to kill this branch as you roll the
> > tarball (for alpha8) and rather than put it under win32, move it
> > to unix as you create the apr tree.
>
> I would prefer to do this is multiple stages.  In fact, this
> is completely
> new code, so let's just do the re-locate now.
>
> I will cvs rm -Rf that dir and cvs add it to i18n/unix in a half-hour
> unless I get a -1.  This dir will be part of the alpha, but
> we won't be using it, so it won't compile anywhere.

As long as you get the Makefile resolved, that's cool.

I'm looking at ICU in tandem.  As I realize what's under the hood of
iconv, and disect it, I'm really beginning to believe that there is
a simple iconv thunk that could be created for ICU that covers all the
territory of both libraries, gives us all our localization, and would
then eliminate all redundancy of mappings.

In the meantime, my q to the list ... do we APRize the entire iconv
and link it into APR when iconv doesn't exist on the target machine?
The existing code is pure Unix/BSD, so anything useful needs to be
built upon it.  A few helpers should just be written into APR anyway,
we need a path walk (colon seperators on Unix, semicolons on Win32),
and a few other goodies.  iconv_module almost disappears, since we
already have very thorough dynamic library support.

If this is the consensus, I'll base draft one on this iconv code today,
and consider stripping down and using ICU's implementations another day
(not in the next few weeks :-)

Bill