Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Michael Root <mi...@tippett.com> on 2022/06/15 22:31:33 UTC

Disable favicon updates?

Hi,

Is there a way to disable updating the favicon when connected to a session?

It's neat that it's a teeny-tiny screenshot....but I've noticed that it
ends up making Firefox's favicons.sqlite cache grow seemingly without
limits.  I end up deleting the multi-GB cache file every couple of
months when I notice the whole browser getting slow.

It's clearly a bug in Firefox to not cap the size of the cache.  But
it's also not really that helpful to update it so often.

Thanks,
-Mike

Re: Disable favicon updates?

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 15, 2022, 15:31 Michael Root <mi...@tippett.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to disable updating the favicon when connected to a session?
>
> It's neat that it's a teeny-tiny screenshot....but I've noticed that it
> ends up making Firefox's favicons.sqlite cache grow seemingly without
> limits.  I end up deleting the multi-GB cache file every couple of
> months when I notice the whole browser getting slow.
>
> It's clearly a bug in Firefox to not cap the size of the cache.

But it's also not really that helpful to update it so often.

It's particularly useful on systems that show the icon in the taskbar, and
really shouldn't result in what you're seeing. Firefox shouldn't be caching
multiple dynamically-generated favicons for the same domain like that.

You could manually remove the icon update from the source for now, sure, as
a mitigating measure ... but I really think the only reasonable path
forward is for this to be fixed in Firefox.

If you haven't already, I think the next step should be reporting this to
Firefox as a bug.

- Mike