Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Husain, Yavar" <yh...@firstam.com> on 2012/04/24 14:20:01 UTC

Tomcat 6.X 64 bit Crash on Windows Server 2008 R2

Hi

Solr 3.5 (Apache Java Search Application) was not returning results. To my surprise Tomcat 6.x (64 bit) was not running on my Windows Server 2008 R2 and hence the problem. I restarted it and everything seems to be fine now.

Went to the Windows Event viewer and exported the following information as it relates to Tomcat:

Level   Date and Time   Source  Event ID        Task Category

Information      04/23/2012 8:51:58 AM  Service Control Manager 7036    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.

Error            04/23/2012 4:17:12 AM  Service Control Manager 7034    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).

Information      04/16/2012 3:13:15 PM  Service Control Manager 7036    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.

Error            04/16/2012 1:12:47 PM  Service Control Manager 7034    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Information      04/07/2012 10:02:25 PM Service Control Manager 7036    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.

Here is what I see in the Tomcat Logs:

2012-04-16 15:13:13 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
#
#
#  Internal Error (os_windows_x86.cpp:149), pid=3496, tid=4124
#  guarantee(result == EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_EXECUTION) failed: Unexpected result from topLevelExceptionFilter
#
# JRE version: 7.0_02-b13
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (22.0-b10 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Failed to write core dump. Call to MiniDumpWriteDump() failed
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Windows\system32\hs_err_pid3496.log
#
#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yavar
</PRE>
<BR>
******************************************************************************************<BR>This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the<BR>addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are<BR>not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,<BR>you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly<BR>prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by<BR>replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.<BR>
<BR>
Thank you.~<BR>
******************************************************************************************<BR>
FAFLD<BR>
<PRE>

Re: Tomcat 6.X 64 bit Crash on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Husain, Yavar wrote:
> Hi
>

> Solr 3.5 (Apache Java Search Application) was not returning results. To my surprise Tomcat 6.x (64 bit) was not running on my Windows Server 2008 R2 and hence the problem. I restarted it and everything seems to be fine now.
>

> Went to the Windows Event viewer and exported the following information as it relates to Tomcat:
>

> Level   Date and Time   Source  Event ID        Task Category
>
> Information      04/23/2012 8:51:58 AM  Service Control Manager 7036    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.
>
> Error            04/23/2012 4:17:12 AM  Service Control Manager 7034    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).
>
> Information      04/16/2012 3:13:15 PM  Service Control Manager 7036    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.
>
> Error            04/16/2012 1:12:47 PM  Service Control Manager 7034    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
>
> Information      04/07/2012 10:02:25 PM Service Control Manager 7036    None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.
>

> Here is what I see in the Tomcat Logs:
>

> 2012-04-16 15:13:13 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
> #
> # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  Internal Error (os_windows_x86.cpp:149), pid=3496, tid=4124
> #  guarantee(result == EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_EXECUTION) failed: Unexpected result from topLevelExceptionFilter
> #
> # JRE version: 7.0_02-b13
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (22.0-b10 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
> # Failed to write core dump. Call to MiniDumpWriteDump() failed
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as:
> # C:\Windows\system32\hs_err_pid3496.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
> #
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

I don't want to be snappy, but it seems to me that the above message is fairly clear, in
indicating an error within the Java VM, and even providing a URL to report it.
What other kind of help would you like from this Tomcat list ?

RE: Tomcat 6.X 64 bit Crash on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted by "Husain, Yavar" <yh...@firstam.com>.
Thanks Jeffrey. Reverted back to Java 6 Update 31.

> Solr 3.5 (Apache Java Search Application) was not returning results.
> To my surprise Tomcat 6.x (64 bit) was not running on my Windows
> Server
> 2008 R2 and hence the problem. I restarted it and everything seems to
> be fine now.
>

> Went to the Windows Event viewer and exported the following
> information as it relates to Tomcat:
>

> Level   Date and Time   Source  Event ID        Task Category
>
> Information      04/23/2012 8:51:58 AM  Service Control Manager 7036
> None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.
>
> Error            04/23/2012 4:17:12 AM  Service Control Manager 7034
> None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has
> done this 2 time(s).
>
> Information      04/16/2012 3:13:15 PM  Service Control Manager 7036
> None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.
>
> Error            04/16/2012 1:12:47 PM  Service Control Manager 7034
> None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has
> done this 1 time(s).
>
> Information      04/07/2012 10:02:25 PM Service Control Manager 7036
> None    The Apache Tomcat 6 service entered the running state.
>

> Here is what I see in the Tomcat Logs:
>

> 2012-04-16 15:13:13 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized # # A
> fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  Internal Error (os_windows_x86.cpp:149), pid=3496, tid=4124 #
> guarantee(result == EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_EXECUTION) failed: Unexpected
> result from topLevelExceptionFilter # # JRE version: 7.0_02-b13 # Java
> VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (22.0-b10 mixed mode windows-
> amd64 compressed oops) # Failed to write core dump. Call to
> MiniDumpWriteDump() failed # # An error report file with more
> information is saved as:
> # C:\Windows\system32\hs_err_pid3496.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
> #
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Yavar

Report the Java 7 bug to Sun via the url provided.
Then drop your Tomcat 6.x back to using the latest Java 6 release for 64-bit Windows. It's seem pretty stable.
(that is if you are not relying on some new feature of Java 7).

Jeff

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are
not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by
replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.

Thank you.-

RE: Tomcat 6.X 64 bit Crash on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.