Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Pravin Sinha <pk...@yahoo.com> on 2012/08/23 18:19:44 UTC

Learning hadoop

Hi,

I am new to Hadoop. What would be the best way to learn  hadoop and eco system around it?

Thanks,
Pravin

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Varad Meru <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pravin,

Studying Hadoop or MapReduce can look a daunting task if you get your hand dirty at the start.

Some of the prerequisites for learning Hadoop are having a good experience in Java. Good Analytical skills help a lot as well and final secret sauce for being successful is – you need to be motivated to self learn lot of things in the bigdata arena.

I followed the schedule as follows :

Start with very basics of MR with
	http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/dsd-tutorial.html
	http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/mapreduce-tutorial.html
Then go for the first two lectures in
	http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse490h/08au/lectures.htm A very good course intro to MapReduce and Hadoop.
Read the seminal paper
	http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html
and its improvements in the updated version
	http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse490h/08au/readings/communications200801-dl.pdf

Then go for all the other videos in the U.Washington link given above. (For more details into Distributed Systems

Try youtubing the terms Map reduce and hadoop to find videos by O'Rielly and Google RoundTable for good overview of the future of Hadoop and MapReduce

Then off to the most important videos -
Cloudera Videos
http://www.cloudera.com/resources/?media=Video
and
Google MiniLecture Series
http://code.google.com/edu/submissions/mapreduce-minilecture/listing.html

Along with all the Multimedia above we need good written material

Documents:
Architecture diagrams at http://hadooper.blogspot.com are good to have on your wall

Hadoop: The definitive guide goes more into the nuts and bolts of the whole system where as
Hadoop in Action is a good read with lots of teaching examples to learn the concepts of hadoop.
Pro Hadoop is good for more advanced stuff such as chaining and Spring-Hadoop

PDFs of the documentation from Apache Foundation
	http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/ and
	http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/stable/

will help you learn as to how model your problem into a MR solution in order to gain the advantages of Hadoop in total.

HDFS paper by Yahoo!  Research is also a good read in order to gain in depth knowledge of hadoop (ACM: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1914427 and DL at http://storageconference.org/2010/Papers/MSST/Shvachko.pdf

Try the http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module1.html link for beginners to expert path to Hadoop (Warning Hadoop 0.19 Version used)

Imp for Setting up Hadoop: Here is a more recent tutorial on setting up Hadoop:
http://orzota.com/blog/single-node-hadoop-setup-2/

And here is one on configuring Eclipse for hadoop development:
http://orzota.com/blog/eclipse-setup-for-hadoop-development/

For Any Queries ...
Contact Apache, Google, Bing, Yahoo!

Thanks,
Varad

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Varad Meru <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pravin,

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Varad Meru <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pravin,

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Varad Meru <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pravin,

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by "emmanuel.csantana@gmail.com" <em...@gmail.com>.

--
Emmanuel de Castro Santana

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by "emmanuel.csantana@gmail.com" <em...@gmail.com>.

--
Emmanuel de Castro Santana

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by "emmanuel.csantana@gmail.com" <em...@gmail.com>.

--
Emmanuel de Castro Santana

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by "emmanuel.csantana@gmail.com" <em...@gmail.com>.

--
Emmanuel de Castro Santana

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by VIGNESH PRAJAPATI <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Pravin,

  I am highly recommend you to start through Big Data
University[www.bigdatauniversity.com].It have covered all basics for
hadoop and hadoop architecture.

Thanks
Vignesh

--

*Vignesh Prajapati*
Tel: 9427415949 |

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by VIGNESH PRAJAPATI <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Pravin,

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by VIGNESH PRAJAPATI <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Pravin,

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by VIGNESH PRAJAPATI <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Pravin,

Re: Learning hadoop

Re: Learning hadoop

Re: Learning hadoop

Re: Learning hadoop

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.
Tom White's book (O'Reilly).
Sent from my phone, please excuse my brevity.
Keith Wiley, kwiley@keithwiley.com, http://keithwiley.com

Re: Learning hadoop

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Learning hadoop