Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/04/08 11:46:20 UTC

SourceResolvable [was Re: [status & RT] design challenges]

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> > 1) serializers don't have full access to the component environment and
> >some want this to be changed
> >

> The major need is to be able to access the SourceResolver. I haven't
> seen any good use case where a Serializer needs to access something else
> in the environment. So what about a "SourceResolvable" interface handled
> by CocoonComponentManager ?
>
> public interface SourceResolvable {
>   void setSourceResolver(SourceResolver resolver),
> }
>
> One more use case for this need : I have pending on my HD a Batik
> ProtocolHandler that allows any Cocoon source to be used in Batik's URL
> handling system. This allows to insert bitmaps stored in Blobs (using
> the BlobSource in scratchpad) in SVG drawings. The only thing that's
> needed is the SourceResolver. Nothing else.

Sounds like a good compromise. +0

What do others think of this?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: SourceResolvable [was Re: [status & RT] design challenges]

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi,

see my reply to Sylvain's mail. It's not necessary.

Carsten

Included Original Response:

We don't need such interfaces in the next version anymore (at least I hope
so).
If a component is Composable (and Serializers can be composable), they
can lookup the Avalon Excalibur SourceResovler.
And this SourceResolver can then be used to resolve any URI (including all
our nice protocols like cocoon: and of course relative URIs).

The Avalon Excalibur SourceResolver will replace all of our uri handler,
source handler, source resolver stuff and clean up this area. There will
only be one! The Avalon Excalibur SourceResolver.

End