Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Christopher Dodunski <Ch...@christopher.net.nz> on 2010/09/12 10:40:26 UTC

How to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5

Hi,

I would like to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5, which is running on my VPS.
 I have downloaded Tapestry 5, unpackaged it, and can see the many JAR
files contained in lib/.  But what I see far exceeds what I expected,
having read through the Tapestry installation instructions found here:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Installation - much more than "14"!

I don't like to clutter up tomcat/shared/lib with a heap of unnecessary
libraries.  Which do I require to get me going?  I understand I also need
to independently download javassist and OGNL.

Thanks & regards,

Chris.

Re: How to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5

Posted by Charith Madusanka <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

look this ,

http://bbwebcraft.blogspot.com/2008/12/task-1-create-skeleton-tapestry-5.html

charith

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
Those don't look like directions for tapestry 5. You don't need ognl for example.

You can put all of the dependencies in your WAR file so there is no clutter outside your apps lib folder.

Josh

-- Josh

Posted by Elin <po...@gmail.com>.
Well... if i understand u correctly u download tapestry from the website (so
u are not using maven). The needed libraries depends on what are u goning to
do. For a simple project you will need tapestry-core  and tapestry-ioc,
those are the main ones. Anyway, i would recommend u to use maven because
you need an specific files structure and its much easier with maven, since
its created automatically with it.

Take a look at http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5.2-dev/quickstart/

Re: How to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm a little concerned by the incorrect information in this thread.

Maven does the dependency part OK, and in fact, can generate a
dependency report:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5.2-dev/tapestry-core/dependencies.html

(However, that page hasn't been regenerated since July for some reason).

Since the page is out of date, we can use Maven to generate a proper
list of dependencies:

$ mvn dependency:list | grep :compile$
[INFO]    commons-codec:commons-codec:jar:1.3:compile
[INFO]    javassist:javassist:jar:3.12.1.GA:compile
[INFO]    log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.14:compile
[INFO]    org.antlr:antlr-runtime:jar:3.1.1:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-func:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-ioc:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-json:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry5-annotations:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.slf4j:slf4j-api:jar:1.5.2:compile
[INFO]    org.slf4j:slf4j-log4j12:jar:1.5.2:compile

In reality, the dependency on Log4J is configurable, it's just a
default that can be overridden, since the majority of projects use
Log4J.  SLF4J can work with any number of alternatives.

If you add tapestry-upload (which adds an Upload component and some
related machinery), it extends the dependencies a bit further.

$ mvn dependency:list | grep :compile$
[INFO]    commons-codec:commons-codec:jar:1.3:compile
[INFO]    commons-fileupload:commons-fileupload:jar:1.2:compile
[INFO]    commons-io:commons-io:jar:1.3:compile
[INFO]    javassist:javassist:jar:3.12.1.GA:compile
[INFO]    log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.14:compile
[INFO]    org.antlr:antlr-runtime:jar:3.1.1:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-core:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-func:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-ioc:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-json:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.tapestry:tapestry5-annotations:jar:5.2.1-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO]    org.slf4j:slf4j-api:jar:1.5.2:compile
[INFO]    org.slf4j:slf4j-log4j12:jar:1.5.2:compile

Again, the dependencies have been changing between 5.1 and 5.2 (for
instance, tapestry-func is new, and tapestry-json was split out of
tapestry-core).

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 05:40:26 -0300, Christopher Dodunski
> <Ch...@christopher.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi!
>
>> I would like to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5, which is running on my VPS.
>
> Why such an old version of Tomcat?
>
>>  I have downloaded Tapestry 5, unpackaged it, and can see the many JAR
>> files contained in lib/.  But what I see far exceeds what I expected,
>> having read through the Tapestry installation instructions found here:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Installation - much more than "14"!
>
> That wiki page is about Tapestry 4, not 5. You only need tapestry-core,
> tapestry-ioc, antlr-runtime and commons-codec to run Tapestry.
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer, and
> instructor
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: How to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
<Ch...@christopher.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I would like to set up Tapestry 5 on Tomcat 5, which is running on my
> VPS.

Why such an old version of Tomcat?

>  I have downloaded Tapestry 5, unpackaged it, and can see the many JAR
> files contained in lib/.  But what I see far exceeds what I expected,
> having read through the Tapestry installation instructions found here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Installation - much more than "14"!

That wiki page is about Tapestry 4, not 5. You only need tapestry-core,
tapestry-ioc, antlr-runtime and commons-codec to run Tapestry.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br