Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by David Robison <da...@psgglobal.net> on 2016/04/15 14:49:18 UTC

Question appending data using WebHDFS

I am trying to use WebHDFS to append a large amount of data to a file. From the documentation I see that I send the op=APPEND to the NameNode first and then it sends me the location of the DataNode. Then I can start sending data to the DataNode using the op=APPEND. My question is, can I continue to write data to the DataNode or do I need to periodically recheck with the NameNode to see if it wants to send the new data to another DataNode? In other words, once I have received the DataNode's location can I continue to send as much data as I want to that DataNode or will I need at some point need to start sending data to another DataNode for the same file? I hope this is clear as I am new to HDFS. Thanks, David

Re: Question appending data using WebHDFS

Posted by Jon Ernster <jo...@gmail.com>.
Your file will be split up across numerous data nodes assuming the
file you're storing is larger than the configured block size.
Therefore you'll have file / blocksize across X data nodes.  This is
all handled automatically so you don't really have the ability to say
"I want this entire file on this data node".

Posted by Jon Ernster <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Ernster <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Ernster <jo...@gmail.com>.