Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gerry Matte <Ma...@gov.saanich.bc.ca> on 2000/07/19 00:04:36 UTC

Distributed Example WEB.XML Crashes JVM 1.2.2

Since the bugzilla mecahnism is inoperative, I am reporting this bug to the general mailing list in the hopes it will be seen by the appropriate people.

While deploying my servlet samples within a WEB-INF structure, I attempted to create a web.xml file from the sample provided by the Tomcat distribution (doc\appdev\web.xml.txt).

I would prefer to document web apps by using the fields <display-name> and <description>  as defined in the Servlet 2.2 spec (web deployment descriptor).  However, these standard DTD fields seem to not work cleanly within the Tomcat 3.1 distribution.

Tomcat threw illegal character exceptions when adding my context (reading my new web.xml) until I removed embedded slash and ampersand characters from the fields <display-name> and <description>.  I'm presuming now that special characters are not allowed within the content of these tags (perhaps if escaped ?).

Tomcat now starts with no apparent errors.  However, when I perform a "shutdown", an invalid page fault is generated by the Java JVM and the Tomcat DOS window remains visible/active.  If I execute the shutdown a second time, Tomcat seems to shut down ok.

I've had to comment out these two web.xml fields as I am not comfortable with an unstable environment.

I am using the Win32 Binary download of Tomcat 3.1 - under Windows 95 OSR2.  My java is JDK 1.2.2.

The first 11 lines of my web.xml file are:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">

<web-app>
    <!-- General description of your web application -->
    <!-- ***** The display-name & description causes a JVM Page fault when Tomcat shuts down.  Run shutdown twice to clear. ***** -->
    <display-name>Saanich demo Servlets and JSP Pages</display-name>
    <description>This is version 1.0 of the test and demo environment for servlets and JSP pages.  Tested demonstration and benchmark servlets and JSP's are here. It was written by Gerry Matte(matteg@gov.saanich.bc.ca), who should be contacted for more information.  This definition is in web.xml within webapps gmtests.  See web.xml.txt for other possible entries (supplied with the Tomcat 3.1 package).</description>

[snip]

Gerry Matte, IT Manager, Municipality of Saanich
mailto:matteg@gov.saanich.bc.ca    http://www.gov.saanich.bc.ca
Phone (250) 475-5403        Fax: (250) 475-5411