Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Adam Talaat <ad...@illumen.org> on 2010/05/27 18:58:50 UTC

Lucene and Disk Snapshots

Hello,

I am trying to determine whether Lucene is compatible with a disk snapshot based backup strategy. I would like to take disk snapshots while Lucene is running. Can I be assured that committed data will remain consistent and recoverable for any snapshot? It is acceptable for me to lose documents which have not been committed, or a commit in-progress. Full ACID compliance isn't necessary, just that the Lucene index is consistent and recoverable regardless of when a snapshot is taken.

I have seen bugfix reports related to consistent commits for earlier versions of Lucene. I have not been able to determine whether Lucene is generally considered safe in this respect.

I plan to supplement the more frequent snapshot backups with logical/export backups.

My specific usage scenario is Solr 1.4 hosted on a SAN. The SAN will be performing the snapshots.

Thank you!
Adam

Re: Lucene and Disk Snapshots

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes, when you open an IndexWriter, make sure to use SnapshotDeletionPolicy.
When you want to snapshot a certain commit point, just call its snapshot()
method.

Note that I'm currently working on LUCENE-2481 which will allow SDP to
support multiple snapshots by ID. I'm using it for the same purposes as you
mention.

Shai