Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/21 01:15:34 UTC

Shared modifications impact on studio and ads

Hi,

today, Felix fixed some open JIRA on Shared, renaming Rdn to RDN. It's
fine, but this has some deep impact on the server, as we depend on a
shared SNAPSHOT.

At some point, we may want to decouple the server from the shared
snapshots to avoid having hundreds of compilation failures in ADS (or in
Studio).

Studio ha ssolved that by pointing on stable release of Shared, and I
think we must do that on ADS too.

It may mean more release on Shared, but I think it's a good choice.

thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: Shared modifications impact on studio and ads

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Felix Knecht a écrit :

> On 21.01.2010 01:15, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> today, Felix fixed some open JIRA on Shared, renaming Rdn to RDN. It's
>> fine, but this has some deep impact on the server,
>>

> Sorry about that :(

No, it was the right move. I was expecting such a problem, and this is
why I was lazzy anough to differ the renaming :)
> as we depend on a
>
>> shared SNAPSHOT.
>>
>> At some point, we may want to decouple the server from the shared
>> snapshots to avoid having hundreds of compilation failures in ADS (or in
>> Studio).
>>
>> Studio ha ssolved that by pointing on stable release of Shared, and I
>> think we must do that on ADS too.
>>

> Yes, we should do so. I remember a discussion on the maven dev list,
> when they started to clean up their snapshot repository. There's also a
> policy somewhere saying that snapshots older than x days may be removed
> from the repository. This may lead into the situation that a snapshot
> dependency isn't available anymore when somebody does a new checkout of
> the project and wants to build it or when you dropped your local .m2
> repository.

We are lucky enough to have the possibility to regenerate the SNAPSHOT
when needed, as we just have to build the top level project.
> Having snapshot dependencies to foreign artifacts (not of the own
> project as a module) may cause problems some day ...
>

>> It may mean more release on Shared, but I think it's a good choice.
>>

> Yep

Let's try to see what are the consequences of such a change by the end
of this week then.

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.