Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by Duong Nguyen <du...@apache.org> on 2023/05/20 00:05:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposal to merge Ozone feature branch HDDS-7733-Symmetric-Tokens to master

Dear Ozone Devs,

I would like to start this discussion thread for the proposal to merge
HDDS-7733-Symmetric-Tokens to master.

This feature branch contains the implementation to replace the costly token
signature generation using asymmetric (RSA) keys with symmetric key
algorithms, like HMAC with SHA256. Symmetric key algorithms bring a
much better performance and are the natural fit for Ozone token use case.
Yet, they require building a mechanism to generate, store, distribute, and
renew symmetric secret keys. That requirement is not trivial and has to be
split into smaller tasks that cannot be shipped individually. That is
the reason why the implementation of HDDS-7733
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDDS-7733> happens in a separate
feature branch.

HDDS-7733 is not a new feature but an internal redesign for Ozone tokens to
improve OM performance/Ozone scalability. Apart from the existing
integration and acceptance tests which should already cover the usage of
tokens pretty well, we also added E2E test cases to cover the edge cases
related to the symmetric secret keys life-cycle, as per HDDS-8003
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDDS-8003>.

More information can be found on the wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=255070328

If there are no objections to the merge, we could start the official vote.

Thanks,
Duong

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to merge Ozone feature branch HDDS-7733-Symmetric-Tokens to master

Posted by Duong Nguyen <du...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Sumit,

Thanks for reviewing this. Regarding your query:
1. Impact on existing/old clients: the block token is just a plain byte
array from the client's perspective. It's up to OM's and Datanode's logic
to create, serialize, deserialize and verify the token. This change is
compatible with older client versions.
2. Each generated SecretKey is packaged with the algorithm name and other
auditing data before getting stored and distributed over the network. OM
and Datanodes only rely on the algorithm packaged with the SecretKey to
sign/verify tokens. A change in the configured algorithm doesn't impact the
keys that are already generated.

Thanks,
Duong

Posted by Duong Nguyen <du...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Anu,

Thanks for reviewing the proposal.

Today, any actor joining the Ratis ring has to call an RPC the SCM leader
to add to the Raft group. In secure mode (Kerberos enabled), the RPC has a
layer to authenticate the client user during connection establishment. This
prevents unknown principals from joining the Raft group.

Thanks,
Duong

Posted by anu engineer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumit Agrawal <su...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Duong,

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla <um...@gmail.com>.
With my memory, for technical code changes, committer vote should be
binding.
Since this is branch merge and it is code change, I would expect at least 3
committer votes to pass (and no -1s).

Regards,
Uma

Posted by Sumit Agrawal <su...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Doung/Weichiu

@anu, IMO, ARP spoofing is not possible,

- Secret key is shared to *registered DN*, who is registered to SCM
securely (similar to private certificate of DN generated by SCM)
- Secret key validity is 7 days (configurable), so reduce impact of leak of
secret key.

SCM to client to DN-- its hash value generated using secret key for token,
so it is not possible to generate the same hash with tampering.

It's agreed that the shared key is more vulnerable than the Private/Public
Key pair approach, but considering the performance as required, the secret
key is much better. And considering the existing mechanism of sharing
secret keys, it seems safe to continue.

It looks good to me.

binding +1

Regards
Sumit

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 12:01 AM Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla <

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla <um...@gmail.com>.
This is hadoop bylaw:

   -

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@apache.org>.