Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Alonso Del Arte <al...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/26 20:16:52 UTC

No multi-catch suggestion?

My question is just this: was it also this way in NetBeans 8.2, or am I
remembering incorrectly?

When I was writing up this toy example with NetBeans 11.2:
        int dividend = 47;
        int divisor = 0;
        try {
            int result = dividend / divisor;
            System.out.println(dividend + " / " + divisor + " = " + result);
        } catch (ArithmeticException ae) {
            System.out.println(ae.getMessage());
        } catch (RuntimeException re) {
            System.out.println(re.getMessage ());
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println(e.getMessage ());
        }
I thought NetBeans would suggest multi-catch. This is definitely not a
shining example of how to handle exceptions, and the IDE should be smart
enough to recognize the three exceptions are being handled exactly alike.
On the other hand, the point of this toy example is to show how the
inheritance hierarchy affects the ordering of the Catch clauses, and
perhaps NetBeans thinks these are placeholders for more specialized
exception handlers I'll get around to writing later.

In another toy example, involving IllegalArgumentException and
ArithmeticException, I do see that NetBeans 11.2 does suggest multi-catch.

Al

--
Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com

Re: No multi-catch suggestion?

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 3/26/2020 1:16 PM, Alonso Del Arte wrote:
> My question is just this: was it also this way in NetBeans 8.2, or am
> I remembering incorrectly?

Just a guess. If you use the same variable name for the three cases does
it work then?

-ernie