Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com> on 2015/03/19 11:00:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Transition from SVN to GIT

Hi everyone,

I'd like to discuss if we (Celix) want to move from SVN to GIT. Since some
time it is possible to use GIT at Apache, and most new podlings use GIT.
Why do I want to move to git?
- Easier branching
  Sometimes I'm working on several parts at the time, to be able to have
proper commits and result, I already use git-svn. But that makes it
difficult to share a local branch with someone else.
- GitHub coupling
  Though not as important, it might help with visibility. We already have a
mirror on Github, but when using Git the PR's created on Github are
forwarded to the Celix mailing list.
- Tooling support
  There are lots of good tools for Git, for example SourceTree and
SmartGit. Of course there are tools for SVN as well, but at least it's not
a reason to not move to Git.

If we move to Git, we should also look into some branching model. For
example [1], which is also the model I would like to propose for starting
with.

Please share any feedback, pros and cons!

[1]: http://danielkummer.github.io/git-flow-cheatsheet/

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis

Re: [DISCUSS] Transition from SVN to GIT

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Cool.

Just did my first push to the new git repro :)

Btw the git url for cloning is:
 https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/celix.git

Posted by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ferry Huberts <ma...@hupie.com>.

Posted by Erik Jansman <er...@jansman.eu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Transition from SVN to GIT

Posted by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com>.

> I agree on the branching model. I assuming you do not purpose to use
> the git flow tool, but just the branching model? I would prefer
> working directly on git instead.

Git-Flow is just a tool, it doesn't force you to use it [1]. So I don't see
a problem with enabling it, it provides some easy to use commands. But I'm
fine with whatever we choose.

[1]: https://github.com/nvie/gitflow/wiki/FAQ

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,