Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/06/06 14:30:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] The third RC of Taverna Command Line 3.1.0

This is the discussion thread for Command Line 3.1.0 RC3.

You can place your votes in the corresponding [VOTE] thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/03184f452898d3f8280301b93b40fce5902d45997ce03e341afaf3d1@%3Cdev.taverna.apache.org%3E

and ask anything else here.

Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just
committers, please feel free to try out the release candidate
and provide your votes!

How to review a release candidate? https://s.apache.org/review-release

You may want to temporarily disable your anti-virus / "Windows
Defender" software while testing this build.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] The third RC of Taverna Command Line 3.1.0

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 10 June 2016 at 02:12, Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com> wrote:
> taverna-engine, taverna-common-activities, and taverna-commandline all build
> successfully on my Windows 10 machine running Maven 3.3.9 and Java 1.8.0_91.

Hurray! Thanks for testing.

> I do not have time to perform a detailed check of the source headers
> for the common-activities or commandline files at this time, or check the
> dependencies. (But Alan has done a GitHub search for copyrights and the
> files are clean.)

That's OK,
mvn apache-rat:check and the copyright-grep should hopefully be sufficient.

> These warnings in Activity archetype seem to be the most serious:
>
> [INFO] [WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the
> effective model for com.example:dummy-taverna-plugin:pom:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT

> Can we release with these warnings?

I hope so, they don't mean much as it's just from testing that the
Maven archetype can generate a dummy-taverna-plugin Maven plugin and
compile that.

The generated plugin has a minimal pom.xml on purpose - although it
would be nice to remove the warnings it would mean adding 4-5
<plugins> to lock down the versions of the standard Maven plugins -
although good practice in general, I think that could be distracting
from how to make a Taverna plugin.

(I regret now adding the testing of the archetype :) )

> ---------------------------------------
> Warnings (other than Javadoc warnings):
> ---------------------------------------
>   taverna-engine
>     - Workflow Model impl - private reference
>     - Reference Manager impl - unused package warning
>     - Activity archetype: missing plug-in warnings, empty jar warning,
>       and unresolved package dependency warnings
>
>   taverna-common-activities
>     - Common Activities: empty jar warning
>
>   taverna-commandline
>     - Command-line tool: empty jar warning
>     - Command-line tool Product: missing POMs

Shall we raise Jira issues for these individually? I don't see that
these are preventing the build from working, and although it's nice to
not have any warnings during a build, I think that might be a bit
ambitious considering our current effort.. :)

> ---------------------------------------
> Detailed summary (including Javadoc warnings)
> ---------------------------------------

I hope you don't feel this should block this particular release :-) -
but  I think we should raise these in Jira and try to fix them for the
next version, particularly for any of the API packages the Javadoc
should not give warnings, e.g. broken links.

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
taverna-engine, taverna-common-activities, and taverna-commandline all build
successfully on my Windows 10 machine running Maven 3.3.9 and Java 1.8.0_91.

I do not have time to perform a detailed check of the source headers
for the common-activities or commandline files at this time, or check the
dependencies. (But Alan has done a GitHub search for copyrights and the
files are clean.)

These warnings in Activity archetype seem to be the most serious:

[INFO] [WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the
effective model for com.example:dummy-taverna-plugin:pom:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 22,
column 12
[INFO] [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin is missing. @ line 50,
column 12
[INFO] [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jar-plugin is missing. @ line 40, column 12
[INFO] [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
 org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin is missing. @ line 29, column
12

Can we release with these warnings?

See a summary of the non-Javadoc warnings below, followed by
a summary of all warnings (including Javadoc warnings).

---------------------------------------
Warnings (other than Javadoc warnings):
---------------------------------------
  taverna-engine
    - Workflow Model impl - private reference
    - Reference Manager impl - unused package warning
    - Activity archetype: missing plug-in warnings, empty jar warning,
      and unresolved package dependency warnings

  taverna-common-activities
    - Common Activities: empty jar warning

  taverna-commandline
    - Command-line tool: empty jar warning
    - Command-line tool Product: missing POMs

---------------------------------------
Detailed summary (including Javadoc warnings)
---------------------------------------

taverna-engine
  - Engine and Platform: empty jar warning
  - Reference Manager API: Javadoc warnings
  - Observer pattern: Javadoc warnings
  - Workflow Model API: Javadoc warnings
  - Workflow Model Extension Points: Javadoc warnings
  - Workflow Model impl: Javadoc warnings; private reference warning
      [WARNING] Bundle org.apache.taverna.engine:taverna-workflowmodel-
      impl:bundle:3.1.0-incubating :
      Export org.apache.taverna.workflowmodel.impl,  has 1,  private
references
      [org.apache.taverna.workflowmodel.processor.dispatch.impl],

  - Reference Manager impl: Javadoc warnings; unused package warning
      [WARNING] Bundle org.apache.taverna.engine:taverna-reference-
      impl:bundle:3.1.0-incubating : Unused Import-Package instructions:
      [org.springframework.orm.*]

  - Activity archetype: missing plug-in warnings, empty jar warning,
    and unresolved package dependency warnings
      EXAMPLE 1: [INFO] [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
      org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing.
      @ com.example:dummy-taverna-plugin:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT,
      ...\taverna-activity-archetype\target\test-classes\projects\
      dummyActivity\project\dummy-taverna-plugin\pom.xml, line 22, column 12

      EXAMPLE 2: [INFO] [WARNING] Bundle : org.springframework:
      org.springframework.context:jar:3.0.5.RELEASE has unresolved package
      dependencies: org.apache.commons.logging;version="[1.1.1,2.0.0)"

  - Platform Capability API: Javadoc warnings
  - Credential Manager API: Javadoc warnings
  - Credential Manager impl: Javadoc warnings
  - Platform Report Service: Javadoc warnings
  - Platform Execution Service API: Javadoc warnings
  - Platform Run Service API: Javadoc warnings

taverna-common-activities
   - Common Activities: empty jar warning
   - Beanshell Activity: Javadoc warnings
   - External Tool Activity: Javadoc warnings
   - REST Activity: Javadoc warnings
   - Spreadsheet Import Activity: Javadoc warnings
   - WSDL-generic Library: Javadoc warnings
   - WSDL Activity: Javadoc warnings

taverna-commandline
    - Command-line tool: empty jar warning
    - Command-line tool Common: a few Javadoc warnings
    - Command-line tool Product: missing POMs
        EXAMPLE: [WARNING] Missing POM for org.springframework:org.
        springframework.aop:jar:3.0.0.RC1

Packages/modules (what is the correct term?) that are not listed
have no warnings.

Gale

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi, Thilina, do you have any more details on the
taverna-credential-manager-impl test failure?   Try building without
the -T option - perhaps that was a misguided optimization in my email.

(Our README does not say anything about -T)

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 13 June 2016 at 17:58, Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com> wrote:
> I do not think any of the issues I raised should stop the release.

:-)

> I agree
> to adding the non-Javadoc warnings individually to JIRA. There are a lot of
> Javadoc warnings, can we have one JIRA issue for each component that
> collects all of the Javadoc warnings?

Yes, I think one Jira issue per component (i.e. Taverna Engine, Common
Activities and Commandline) would be the best even if we won't fix all
of the issues per component.

I think if we make an issue per module (e.g. "Javadoc warnings in
credentialmanager api") it would just spam Jira..

> I'm ready to [VOTE].

Hurray! :)

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.
version is 3.0.5

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Fingers crossed for RC3!  I will be out of town for a couple of days, but
will review and build when I return.