Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Fabián Mandelbaum <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/06 19:11:42 UTC

David's Model and translation projects

Hello there,

    I'm considering David's Model
(http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel) and was wondering how
would David handle translations of documents.

    Let's say I have a file, for example: file.xml which is written in
English, and I want to store its translation to, say, Spanish. Which
would be the recommended storage model?

    1) Common storage place

    /content/file.xml (English version)
    /content/file-es.xml (Spanish version)
    /content/file-fr.xml (French version)

    2) Folders for each language

    /content/en/file.xml
    /content/es/file.xml
    /content/fr/file.xml

    3) Workspaces for each language

    /content/file.xml (in 'en' workspace)
    /content/file.xml (in 'es' workspace)
    /content/file.xml (in 'fr' workspace)

    Other? My ears are open, Thanks in advance.

Re: David's Model and translation projects

Posted by Fabián Mandelbaum <fm...@gmail.com>.
OK Alex, thanks!

Posted by Ard Schrijvers <a....@onehippo.com>.
> > Ard,
> >
> >    one thing I forgot to ask: is this 'filter' thing available
> > somewhere? Is it part of JR1.5?
>
> No, that is purely theoretical, nothing in Jackrabbit and not planned.

It is part of a virtual layer we build on top of Jackrabbit, but not
part of Jackrabbit indeed

-Ard

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.

Posted by Fabián Mandelbaum <fm...@gmail.com>.
Ard,

    one thing I forgot to ask: is this 'filter' thing available
somewhere? Is it part of JR1.5?

    thanks in advance.

Posted by Fabián Mandelbaum <fm...@gmail.com>.
OK, I'll make sure my XPath queries have the lang attribute somewhere to
limit queries to a given lang.

Thanks!

Posted by Ard Schrijvers <a....@onehippo.com>.

Posted by Fabián Mandelbaum <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ard, Tobías,

    first of all, let me thank you for your answers. After reading
Tobías answer to rule #1 and then reading Ard's I realized that I may
have misunderstood the 'data vs. structure' thing, and thank you both
for your clarifications.

    OTOH, my file node (extending nt:file) already has the lang as
metadata (a property). I'm doing tests both extending nt:file (1st
attempt) and nt:resource (as David suggests), I don't really find any
difference, though I know there may be some difference in performance,
or compatibility, I don't know...

    I'll ponder the pros and cons of both approachs (folders vs. SNS)
and perform tests with both.

    Thanks again for your prompt and accurate answers.

Posted by Ard Schrijvers <a....@onehippo.com>.
> Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> the nice thing about not having SNS and having a folder
> structure for the language is that you can easily access it
> via webdav. so you just drop your translated files in the
> respective folder again, and your done. having SNS and meta
> data just renders this impossible.

Unless you access the repository through a node that exposes the content through a filtered mirror, only showing you the language you are looking for, but this is not default Jackrabbit functionality I agree :-)

-Ard

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.

Posted by Ard Schrijvers <a....@onehippo.com>.
Hello Fabián Mandelbaum,

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
hi,
iiuc, data first means, that the data drives the structure and not
that the structure drives the data. eg having a nodetype like this:
[Phrase]
- en (string)
- es (string)
beforehand that forces your data into a certain format would be wrong.
imposing a certain hierarchy on your data is ok and natural.

regards, toby

Posted by Fabián Mandelbaum <fm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
hi,