Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/13 14:39:33 UTC

Wrote the Install Utility

I sent the following email to dev but it apparently didn't make it. I
didn't hear any feedback. I know this installation package for windows
might not be the greatest contribution but I was hoping for some
feedback from someone? I think this is exciting. If someone would be
kind enough to give me some user feedback or way of putting this for
the end user it would be great.

from	Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>
to	James Dev <se...@james.apache.org>,
date	Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM
subject	Installation Executable for James 2.3.1 ready.
mailed-by	gmail.com
I have the installation script for James 2.3.1 for windows OS is ready.

I would like to send it to someone for testing on a windows OS. I did
it for our own environment but it might be useful for future.
Please keep in mind that I am not very well versed with windows
development and my skills in this arena are limited.

It is very simple and basic right now.

It does the following :
0) checks for JVM installation in registry if missing it gives an
error and quits.
0.1) requests to accept End User License Agreement (Apache)
1) prompt for user info (optional)
2) prompts for install directory
3) gives window with summary of installation
4) installs
5) gives a readme file
6) finish window.

It has the other basic uninstall features (puts it in add/remove
programs) and allows for un-installation.

What I would like to incorporate in the next release:
1) check for third party installed pre requisite software (like java
and you gave me that already thanks!) but if third party pre requisite
not found install it for the user.
2) provide a check box (as in mysql install) that provides options
asking the user "Do you want to install this as a "Service"? if
checked (yes install as a service) then it runs an executable with an
option that installs the software as a service
3) allow a user to do "custom installs" pick features like "install
this feature, do not install that feature" etc.
4) allow a user to post icons on the desktop or the quick launch
folder that automatically runs run.bat
5) allow a user to change the default "user" and "password" for admin
features (and go into an xml file to put that user and password)
6) allow a user to configure other options in an xml file like
"hostname" or some other value of an xml field that usually requires
mucking with an xml file
7) provide a front end for editing the xml file.
8) provide a front end (windows based) for administering the james mail server.

Shiraz

p.s. I would like to start contributing to the actual james server
please and see if we can have a plan to revamp this to the latest JDK
1.5 or later (if its not too ambitious). To begin I would like to
create useful docs on the server (for newbies like me).

Re: James processing mail from Yahoo but not from Gmail

Posted by Al Stu <Al...@SimonSlick.com>.
Be sure to read the reference [2] article too.  Very interesting.

Here is the link for your convenience.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/07/amazon_hey_spammers_get_off_my.html

Posted by Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>.

Posted by Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>.
Hi Al,

Posted by Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>.
Found what the issue was.

Posted by Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>.
Thanks for the response, Max.

Sending email to James using my Yahoo account as well as my work account
works fine. James receives the email.

I don't know if it matters, but I have James running on an EC2 instance
(Amazon).   http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=201590011

So, i'm sending an email from my Google account to an elastic IP.  So,
if my elastic ip is "myelascticIP.com" . i'm sending it to something
like:  "rex@myelascticIP.com".

Here's a definition for Elastic IPs, just in case you're curious:
*Elastic IP Addresses*
Elastic IP addresses are static IP addresses designed for dynamic cloud
computing. An Elastic IP address is associated with your account not a
particular instance, and you control that address until you choose to
explicitly release it. Unlike traditional static IP addresses, however,
Elastic IP addresses allow you to mask instance or Availability Zone
failures by programmatically remapping your public IP addresses to any
instance in your account. Rather than waiting on a data technician to
reconfigure or replace your host, or waiting for DNS to propagate to all
of your customers, Amazon EC2 enables you to engineer around problems
with your instance or software by quickly remapping your Elastic IP
address to a replacement instance.

Thanks,

- Rex

Posted by Max Impact <ma...@live.co.uk>.
I'd use something other than Google to test if my James recieves.  Google takes security to the extreme and I would use them only to verify my server adhere to their security, not for basic tests (which they would shurely fail).

Google quickly grey / black lists domains on Dynamic DNS, so if that's you you may have allready been listed by them and they won't send to you.

Go find some anonymous mailer site somewhere, or try Yahoo and MSN (may also fail if u'd been listed).  Suggest you try quite a couple of options and if you still not recieving considder it a problem.

Good luck ;)

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:15:21 +0900
> From: ianmlewis@gmail.com
> To: server-user@james.apache.org
> Subject: Re: James processing mail from Yahoo but not from Gmail
>
> Rex,
>
> If it isn't getting to your server at all then gmail is just refusing
> to send it. Do you not get any kind of MAILER DAEMON mail back in your
> gmail inbox?
>
> I meant to ask what kind of domain are you sending to? Google might
> not like sending to something like user@[238.848.274.929] or some
> other dynamic ip dns. Not sure though.
>
> Anyway, it sounds like some sort of domain or gmail security issue if
> the mail really isn't making it to your server.
>
> Ian
>
> 2008/7/22 Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>:
> > Hi Ian,
> >
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > 1 - My mailet runs when I write to James using from my Yahoo account, and my
> > work account.  But It does nothing when using my Gmail account. So, I'm
> > pretty sure my Gmail email never go to the mailet.
> >
> > 2 - I don't create user accounts in James.  I just need to process the email
> > coming in and put it's data in the DB.
> >
> > 3 - Do I check for the mail logs in : james/apps/james/logs ? There's a
> > whole mess of logs there.  Is there one in particular I should look at?
> >
> > 4 - james/logs doesn't produce any errors or indicate that any email
> > blocked.
> >
> > 5 - > Also, what kind of domain name are you using to send e-mail?
> >
> > I don't send any e-mail from James.  I only write to James.
> > thanks,
> > - Rex
> >

> > Ian Lewis wrote:
> >>
> >> Rex,
> >>
> >> Have you checked the mail logs to see if the mail is actually arriving
> >> at your mail server? If your custom mailet does some logging you could
> >> check the mailet log file to see what might be happening.
> >>
> >> Also, what kind of domain name are you using to send e-mail?
> >>
> >> Ian

Invite your Facebook friends to chat on Messenger
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719649/direct/01/

Re: James processing mail from Yahoo but not from Gmail

Posted by Ian Lewis <ia...@gmail.com>.
Rex,

Posted by Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>.
Hi Ian,

Posted by Ian Lewis <ia...@gmail.com>.
Rex,

Posted by Rex Posadas <re...@kalexo.com>.
To all,

I am having problems sending email, from my google account,  to my box
that has James installed.

The strange thing is that when I use my Yahoo account, James receives my
email and processes it correctly. Everything works fine.

When I said "Processes it correctly" it means:  I have James running
with a custom mailet.  the mailet simply puts email data into a DB
table.  For example, extracting the "from: address" and putting that in
a DB. This works when I send an email to James using my Yahoo account -
but not with a Gmail account.

Re: Wrote the Install Utility

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Moving this thread over from user to dev list.

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> I did subscribe to the dev list and I emailed Stefano individually. I
> thought someone would be excited about this and email me back.
>

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Bernd Fondermann
> <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> Shiraz,
>>
>> Your email didn't reach the list, probably is stuck in moderation. Mails go
>> easily through when you are sending from the actual mail account which you
>> have subscribed to the list.
>
> Well I was able to send the email to the dev list before.  Did someone
> unsubscribe me. I just started with this list and I said a few days
> ago that I was going to pick up the task of writing the windows
> install utility.

Please check again if you are properly subscribe or try again to subscribe.

>> Every contribution is welcome, especially the first one from a new
>> contributor. :-)
>
> Thanks! I have always found all my fellow beings quite helpful be it a
> procmail list or some java related list.
>
>> Before every successful contribution, there is some learning how to
>> contribute in the right way. That means, getting to know how all the people
>> who are contributing to Apache projects do it.
>> For example, see http://james.apache.org/contribute.html , but be sure to
>> study some more reading stuff around James and Apache, which you'd easily
>> find on our website.
>
> Ok I was trying to avoid that but will get on it ASAP.

There is no way around it. Please try to adopt our way of working together!

>> After that, I am sure you are aware of our open source philosophy, that
>> everything is about working together and writing source code.
>> That means sharing the actual code.
>
> Absolutely. The only thing is that I am using a setup utility that
> builds this executable. I can provide the project file for it if you
> wish but a special setup utility may need to be used to read the
> script.

This is not a good idea. Being an open source project, everybody must be
able to maintain the setup, without buying any software or working on a
specific OS.

> If that is unworkable I can begin with the VC++ version of it ASAP.

I think it is a better idea to work with a Java based installer. see
    http://java-source.net/open-source/installer-generators
for some.

>> Please note also that the right mailing list for development is not this
>>  list, since it is reserved for user questions. Please move the discussion
>> over to the server-dev mailing list.
>
> Done

Didn't work. I moved the thread over.
Please don't cross-post to more than one list.
Please make sure you are properly subscribed to server-dev.

>> What technology did you use to write the Windows Installer?
>
> setupbuilder

where do I find that?
is that an open source tool? does it require a license fee?

   Bernd

Re: Wrote the Install Utility

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.

<bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Shiraz,
>
> Your email didn't reach the list, probably is stuck in moderation. Mails go
> easily through when you are sending from the actual mail account which you
> have subscribed to the list.

Well I was able to send the email to the dev list before.  Did someone
unsubscribe me. I just started with this list and I said a few days
ago that I was going to pick up the task of writing the windows
install utility.

> Every contribution is welcome, especially the first one from a new
> contributor. :-)

Thanks! I have always found all my fellow beings quite helpful be it a
procmail list or some java related list.

> Before every successful contribution, there is some learning how to
> contribute in the right way. That means, getting to know how all the people
> who are contributing to Apache projects do it.
> For example, see http://james.apache.org/contribute.html , but be sure to
> study some more reading stuff around James and Apache, which you'd easily
> find on our website.

Ok I was trying to avoid that but will get on it ASAP.

> After that, I am sure you are aware of our open source philosophy, that
> everything is about working together and writing source code.
> That means sharing the actual code.

Absolutely. The only thing is that I am using a setup utility that
builds this executable. I can provide the project file for it if you
wish but a special setup utility may need to be used to read the
script.

If that is unworkable I can begin with the VC++ version of it ASAP.

> Please note also that the right mailing list for development is not this
>  list, since it is reserved for user questions. Please move the discussion
> over to the server-dev mailing list.

Done

> What technology did you use to write the Windows Installer?

setupbuilder

> We should also support environment variables like JAVA_HOME, which are often
> used to point to a proper java install.

no problem.

> That's fine, but we would need to see the source code. Could you please get
> familiar with our JIRA tool please and upload it there?
> If you have any questions about it, just ask.

Will get to work on jira etc. asap.

Re: Wrote the Install Utility

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Shiraz,

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> I sent the following email to dev but it apparently didn't make it. I
> didn't hear any feedback.

Your email didn't reach the list, probably is stuck in moderation. Mails
go easily through when you are sending from the actual mail account
which you have subscribed to the list.

> I know this installation package for windows
> might not be the greatest contribution but I was hoping for some
> feedback from someone?

Every contribution is welcome, especially the first one from a new
contributor. :-)

> I think this is exciting. If someone would be
> kind enough to give me some user feedback or way of putting this for
> the end user it would be great.

Before every successful contribution, there is some learning how to
contribute in the right way. That means, getting to know how all the
people who are contributing to Apache projects do it.
For example, see http://james.apache.org/contribute.html , but be sure
to study some more reading stuff around James and Apache, which you'd
easily find on our website.

After that, I am sure you are aware of our open source philosophy, that
everything is about working together and writing source code.
That means sharing the actual code.

Please note also that the right mailing list for development is not this
  list, since it is reserved for user questions. Please move the
discussion over to the server-dev mailing list.

More inline...

> from	Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>
> to	James Dev <se...@james.apache.org>,
> date	Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM
> subject	Installation Executable for James 2.3.1 ready.
> mailed-by	gmail.com
> I have the installation script for James 2.3.1 for windows OS is ready.
>
> I would like to send it to someone for testing on a windows OS. I did
> it for our own environment but it might be useful for future.
> Please keep in mind that I am not very well versed with windows
> development and my skills in this arena are limited.

What technology did you use to write the Windows Installer?

> It is very simple and basic right now.

That's fine.

> It does the following :
> 0) checks for JVM installation in registry if missing it gives an
> error and quits.

We should also support environment variables like JAVA_HOME, which are
often used to point to a proper java install.

> 0.1) requests to accept End User License Agreement (Apache)
> 1) prompt for user info (optional)
> 2) prompts for install directory
> 3) gives window with summary of installation
> 4) installs
> 5) gives a readme file
> 6) finish window.

That's fine, but we would need to see the source code. Could you please
get familiar with our JIRA tool please and upload it there?
If you have any questions about it, just ask.

> It has the other basic uninstall features (puts it in add/remove
> programs) and allows for un-installation.
>
> What I would like to incorporate in the next release:
> 1) check for third party installed pre requisite software (like java
> and you gave me that already thanks!) but if third party pre requisite
> not found install it for the user.
> 2) provide a check box (as in mysql install) that provides options
> asking the user "Do you want to install this as a "Service"? if
> checked (yes install as a service) then it runs an executable with an
> option that installs the software as a service
> 3) allow a user to do "custom installs" pick features like "install
> this feature, do not install that feature" etc.
> 4) allow a user to post icons on the desktop or the quick launch
> folder that automatically runs run.bat
> 5) allow a user to change the default "user" and "password" for admin
> features (and go into an xml file to put that user and password)
> 6) allow a user to configure other options in an xml file like
> "hostname" or some other value of an xml field that usually requires
> mucking with an xml file
> 7) provide a front end for editing the xml file.
> 8) provide a front end (windows based) for administering the james mail server.
>

> Shiraz
>
> p.s. I would like to start contributing to the actual james server
> please and see if we can have a plan to revamp this to the latest JDK
> 1.5 or later (if its not too ambitious). To begin I would like to
> create useful docs on the server (for newbies like me).

ok, fine. there is a lot of work to do there. ;-)

   Bernd