Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Linczak, Jonathan W." <Li...@hiram.edu> on 2005/05/05 04:02:27 UTC

Anyone look into XStandard as a WYSIWYG editor?

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned by the devs before, but I'm curious if anyone has ever looked into this editor before?

http://www.xstandard.com/

The thing that makes this different from the others is that it is an application that a user would need to download on their machine and not a web-based (JavaScript) editor, so if that's against the core belief of Lenya's way of editing, that's understandable.  What I do like about it, however, is it's devotion to web standards and writing very clean code.  It doesn't use the built-in editing tools available in a browser, so it only writes code in one way.  And it seems to integrate into a CMS fairly well, although admittedly I'm no expert in how to do that with Lenya.

I just think I like where that project is heading, and with the Lite version being free, it seems like something interesting to try.  Again, I'm not a dev, but I thought I would throw the idea your way to see what you think.

Jon

Re: Anyone look into XStandard as a WYSIWYG editor?

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
>> Beside the costs, people/customers who plan to use Lenya, will need to
>> spent some money on professional services anyway. So what about some
>> hundred Euros/Dollars for an Editor compared to the costs of a man-week?

Be careful. This might be way different in academic settings where labor
is often at least considered free but buying a license requires a budget
and maybe a bureaucratic process. Also the cost for an editor has to be
multiplied with the anticipated number of users which can be quite high in
some installations.

But if anyone wants to use a commercial editor, it's the user's choice. I
think we have agreed that we want to create an open and flexible mechanism
to plugging in editors. This will most likely not be restricted to a
certain type of license.

> I never saw a JS based inline editor,
> which really rocked. Not bxe, not kupu and not XHTMLArea. So, I'm

Me neither. And I sommetimes wonder why.

Regards,
Torsten

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.