Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com> on 2006/06/02 20:29:19 UTC

Installing Apache modules only

I have installed subversion already. The binaries are there and
functioning correctly. Now I'd like to go back with the source the I
kept and simply install the apache modules and nothing else. Is there
any way to do this without overwriting my existing installation of
the binaries and libraries? Is there any way to tell configure to
only build the apache *.so files?

Thanks,
Bradley

Re: Installing Apache modules only

Posted by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com>.
That said, do you think there is anyway to re-locate the svn
installation without borking the apache modules?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 6/6/06, Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com> wrote:
> Given this, is there any way to un-link and re-link these modules to
> a different set of SVN libraries. If not, I don't think Erik's
> strategy of installing SVN into a separate directory and removing
> that directory when it's done would work (earlier in this thread),
> right?

That's exactly what DESTDIR installs are about. You use ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local; then make install DESTDIR=/opt/svn; the binaries
saved in /opt/svn are built as if they are in /usr/local, meaning you
can't use them until they're actually in that location. So, in effect,
they are linked against the already installed ones :-)

bye,

Erik.

Re: Installing Apache modules only

Posted by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com>.

Posted by Muthaiah Ramanathan <ra...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 5, 2006, at 00:43, Bradley Wagner wrote:

> Come to think of it how do the modules know where to locate the
> subversion libraries? Is that path hardcoded into the modules? I
> have two svn installations right now. 1.3.1 is installed in /usr/
> local and 1.3.2 installed property at /usr/local/svn-1.3.2/. Is
> there any way to test to see which of those installations my apache
> modules are using?

I believe that yes, generally the module would be dynamically linked
with specific Subversion libraries. You should be able to find out
which ones by using ldd (or on Mac OS X: otool -L). For example I get:

$ otool -L /opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so
/opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so:
         /opt/local/lib/libsvn_repos-1.0.dylib (compatibility version
1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
         /opt/local/lib/libsvn_fs-1.0.dylib (compatibility version
1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
         /opt/local/lib/libsvn_fs_fs-1.0.dylib (compatibility version
1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
         /opt/local/lib/libsvn_delta-1.0.dylib (compatibility version
1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

Posted by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com>.

Posted by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.