Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Potts <po...@hpcapplications.com> on 2012/02/08 22:55:58 UTC

newbie having trouble with manager-gui sign in

Hi,
    I'm a newbie with an inherited apache-tomcat-6.0.33 installation.
    The host server is a 64 bit Centos 5 (2.6.18-274.3.1.el5) install.
    I'm having trouble accessing the tomcat manager-gui from an
    internet-based browser access.  As near as I can determine this was
    a standard/default installation of tomcat.  I have root access but
    lack the knowledge of how to use it to advantage here.

    I've added the following lines:
       <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
       <user username="Myadmin" password="HereOmitted" roles="standard,manager-gui" />
    between the
    <tomcat-users>  and  </tomcat-users>   lines of the appBase/conf/tomcat-user.xml
    file.

    When attempting to access the manager on my server from the web as:
        http://xx.yy.co:8080/manager/list  (where xx and yy are legitimate
        parts of my server's domain)
    I am prompted with a login popup requesting user name and password under the
    label of:
       A username and password are being requested by http://xx.yy.co:8080.
       The site says: "Tomcat Manager Application"
    I (carefully) enter the username (Myadmin in my example above) and password
    (HereOmitted in my example above) but am repeatedly rejected.
    I find nothing in the tomcat 6.0 manager-gui documentation to indicate
    that I need to restart tomcat to get the new username/password configuration
    info to take effect.  Since this is a production system, a restart can only
    be accomplished at certain times, if that is needed.
    I do not see nor do I know if there should be evidence of a tomcat
    manager thread/process.

    So, I'm looking for help on whatever I've missed in the config and/or
    initial startup of the manager-gui.

    Thanks.
              regards,

--
***********************************

RE: newbie having trouble with manager-gui sign in

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Mark Potts [mailto:potts@hpcapplications.com]
> Subject: Re: newbie having trouble with manager-gui sign in

> Could you clarify what you mean by "using the toy<Realm>".

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/realm-howto.html#UserDatabaseRealm
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/realm-howto.html#MemoryRealm

If the UserDatabaseRealm is the one in use, you should be able to update it on the fly via JMX.

 - Chuck

Re: newbie having trouble with manager-gui sign in

Posted by Mark Potts <po...@hpcapplications.com>.
Chuck,
    Thanks.  Comments inline.

>> From: Mark Potts [mailto:potts@hpcapplications.com]
>> Subject: newbie having trouble with manager-gui sign in
>
>> I've added the following lines:
>>    <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
>>    <user username="Myadmin" password="HereOmitted" roles="standard,manager-gui" />
>> between the<tomcat-users>  and</tomcat-users>  lines of the
>> appBase/conf/tomcat-user.xml file.
>
> And did you remove the surrounding comment markers?

     Yes

>> I find nothing in the tomcat 6.0 manager-gui documentation
>> to indicate that I need to restart tomcat to get the new
>> username/password configuration info to take effect.
>
> A restart is required.  Also note that using the toy<Realm>  you have is strongly discouraged in production systems.

    Restart is the culprit then.  Can't solve that for a bit.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.