Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/23 19:35:54 UTC

Deprecating IndexReader's delete methods?

Hi,

Now that we have Document deletion via IndexWriter, is the plan to deprecate the delete methods in IndexReader?  If so, how come we didn't do that for 2.1?  Sorry if I missed this discussion, if there was one.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Deprecating IndexReader's delete methods?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Mark Miller wrote:
> Is it more efficient to use IndexWriter to delete or does the change not
> bring a speed improvement?

It's no faster.  It's primarily meant to simplify updates.

Doug

Re: Deprecating IndexReader's delete methods?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doron Cohen <DO...@il.ibm.com>.
yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 23/02/2007 10:43:13:

> On 2/23/07, Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Now that we have Document deletion via IndexWriter, is the plan to
> deprecate the delete methods in IndexReader?  If so, how come we
> didn't do that for 2.1?  Sorry if I missed this discussion, if there was
one.

> IndexWriter deletion is significantly less powerful (you can only
> delete-by-term).
> I don't think IndexReader deletion will be going away for some time.

See also http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=8874023&framed=y

Doron

Re: Deprecating IndexReader's delete methods?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by karl wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
23 feb 2007 kl. 19.35 skrev Otis Gospodnetic:

> Now that we have Document deletion via IndexWriter, is the plan to
> deprecate the delete methods in IndexReader?  If so, how come we
> didn't do that for 2.1?  Sorry if I missed this discussion, if
> there was one.

If I got it all right, then the delete in the writer use the delete
in the reader. So it will require a bit of refactoring in order to
actually "get rith of" the delete methods in the reader. One could of
course always depricate it though. And an initial solution would be
to make the reader methods package visible.

--
karl