Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by pradeep <pr...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/25 09:12:14 UTC

Significance of usageManager

1. What is the significance of usageManager?  Why do we need it?
2. Is it used to specify the maximum memory allocated for storing messages ?
3.  What happenes when max memory is reached ? Will ActiveMQ stop processing
further messages from client ?

I am facing memory problem when running evaulation test on AvtiveMQ as
posted in another thread. It is surprising that I did not face this issue
when using another JMS server embedded in a app server.

Re: Significance of usageManager

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/06, pradeep <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, there are no consumers :)
> Another question- how are you measuring the amount of RAM allocated to the
> usageManager in java ? Just curious.

The size of the messages used since the broker knows the size of the
messages (as its just marshalled/unmarshalled them).

--

James
-------

Re: Significance of usageManager

Posted by pradeep <pr...@gmail.com>.
No, there are no consumers :)
Another question- how are you measuring the amount of RAM allocated to the
usageManager in java ? Just curious.

sorry for asking too many questions but since I am evaluating jms servers it
is important for me to understand.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/06, John Heitmann <jh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2006, at 12:48 AM, pradeep wrote:
>

> > Thanks again. When max memory is reached client's dont get
> > exception message.
> > Why ? The clients are blocked for ever as I am seeing it.
> > Pradeep
>
> If you're willing to muck about with the sources you might want to
> try this patch to make the broker it give you an exception instead of
> block:
>
> http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-515

Patch applied now John with thanks.

--

James
-------

Posted by John Heitmann <jh...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 25, 2006, at 12:48 AM, pradeep wrote:

> Thanks again. When max memory is reached client's dont get
> exception message.
> Why ? The clients are blocked for ever as I am seeing it.
> Pradeep

If you're willing to muck about with the sources you might want to
try this patch to make the broker it give you an exception instead of
block:

John

Re: Significance of usageManager

Posted by pradeep <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pradeep <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/06, pradeep <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. What is the significance of usageManager?  Why do we need it?

It defines the amount of RAM used by non persistent messaging or the
amount of RAM used to cache messages for persistent messaging

> 3.  What happenes when max memory is reached ? Will ActiveMQ stop processing
> further messages from client ?

ActiveMQ stops accepting new messages until messages are consumed.

--

James
-------