Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/09/06 04:12:19 UTC

Apache log4net Needs Help

This is a general call-to-arms for everyone who uses log4net as their
logging solution. If log4net is the logging framework that you are
using and would like to keep using in the future it is time now to get
involved. The project needs a larger developing community to move on!
We really need more people who want to shape the future of log4net at
the Apache Software Foundation.

In all the time since log4net has been started by Nicko Cadell more
than ten years ago, there have never been more than two or three
people regularly contributing to it. As is normal in open source
projects people have come and gone when their interests or just the
amount of time they could invest have changed.

At the moment Dominik Psenner and Stefan Bodewig are the only people
semi-actively working on log4net and neither of them is able to devote
as much time to the project as they'd like to and as would be
required.

Realistically log4net is maintenance mode where development of new
features is not going to happen.

This has repeatedly made log4net lag behind recent developments in the
.NET world. It took a long time to get a version out that properly
worked with .NET 4.0 in 2011 and adaptions to .NET 4.5 also took much
longer than many users would have wished. We are seeing it again with
.NET Core right now. In addition there are many unresolved issues in
log4net's JIRA.

Despite this there are more than 2500 downloads of the logging
framework every day from nuget. We are asking you, the log4net
community, to get your hands dirty.

Right now we are in the process of creating a log4net release that
works for .NET Core. It is a very targeted effort and it is very
unlikely Dominik and Stefan will be able to contribute more in the
future than we did during the past months.

If you are willing to help, please join log4net's dev mailing list and
raise your hand. Look through log4net's issue tracker and pick things
you'd like to work on. If you don't know where to start, please ask,
Dominik and Stefan will be there to help.

If there is anything holding you back from contributing, let's discuss
it and get it out of the way. Nothing is carved into stone, neither
what the future of log4net holds nor how we make it happen.

Links

log4net's JIRA:    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET
How the ASF works: https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
                   https://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html

RE: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
This sounds like a plan.

Posted by Joe <Jo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

> On 2016-11-05, Joe wrote:
>
> >> If you are willing to help, please join log4net's dev mailing list and
> raise your hand. Look through log4net's issue tracker and pick things you'd
> like to work on. If you don't know where to start, please ask, Dominik and
> Stefan will be there to help.
>
> >> If there is anything holding you back from contributing, let's discuss
> it and get it out of the way.
>
> > Looking through the log4net issue tracker, I find it difficult to pick
> > out things to work on.
>
> > - There are an awful lot of open issues that have been open for a long
> > time and are unassigned
>
> I've gone through them a long time ago when it looked like we had a plan
> of moving forward - that's why you may find some issues assigned to
> versions like 3.5 or 4. Reality has rendered those versions moot.
>
> > - Some of the ones I've looked through seem like they could be closed
> > as Won't fix, Incomplete, Cannot Reproduce, Later or Not a Bug.  Doing
> > this might show that things are moving and be an incentive for people
> > to get involved.
>
> Fine with me. So far I haven't closed any enhancement requests as I
> thought somebody might pick it up. But at the same time I knew I
> wouldn't be working on it. I've tried to keep up with real bug reports
> and enhancement requests that came with a path - but likely failed to do
> so as well.
>
> > - It would help to have a roadmap for the next couple of releases.
> > For example, if we know that someone is working on a revamped
> > RollingFileAppender, all issues related to RollingFileAppender should
> > be assigned to them.
>
> The main reason we've lacked a roadmap so far is that we've been
> reacting to reported bugs. I'd be happy if we could change this. Short
> term I'd love to see us release 2.0.6 as a sign of life.

A long time ago I had started a reimplementation of the RollingFileAppender
because we've seen that we cannot fix it without breaking compatibility or
redefining its features. Most of the issues related to the
RollingFileAppender should be marked as related issues to the rewrite
issue. I dont have the issue id at hand, though. If you wanted to pick up
that initial work and continue it would be awesome! Most probably I am
going to jump in helping you because the RollingFileAppender is one of the
most used features and therefore one of the crucial points where
performance and sanity can make a difference of users moving away from
log4net or attracting more users.

> > - Perhaps some of them need to be reprioritized, so that it's easier
> > to focus on what is high priority and consistent with the roadmap.
>
> Current priorities are most likely the ones set by the reporters. Which
> usually means everybody considers their issues the most important ones.

I tend to prioritize recent reports because the reporters of those old
issues most likely have found a workaround or moved to another logging
framework. Those issues are most likely to be closed because they are not
reproducable.

--
Dominik Psenner

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-11-05, Joe wrote:

>> If you are willing to help, please join log4net's dev mailing list and raise your hand. Look through log4net's issue tracker and pick things you'd like to work on. If you don't know where to start, please ask, Dominik and Stefan will be there to help.

>> If there is anything holding you back from contributing, let's discuss it and get it out of the way.

> Looking through the log4net issue tracker, I find it difficult to pick
> out things to work on.

> - There are an awful lot of open issues that have been open for a long
> time and are unassigned

I've gone through them a long time ago when it looked like we had a plan
of moving forward - that's why you may find some issues assigned to
versions like 3.5 or 4. Reality has rendered those versions moot.

> - Some of the ones I've looked through seem like they could be closed
> as Won't fix, Incomplete, Cannot Reproduce, Later or Not a Bug.  Doing
> this might show that things are moving and be an incentive for people
> to get involved.

Fine with me. So far I haven't closed any enhancement requests as I
thought somebody might pick it up. But at the same time I knew I
wouldn't be working on it. I've tried to keep up with real bug reports
and enhancement requests that came with a path - but likely failed to do
so as well.

> - It would help to have a roadmap for the next couple of releases.
> For example, if we know that someone is working on a revamped
> RollingFileAppender, all issues related to RollingFileAppender should
> be assigned to them.

The main reason we've lacked a roadmap so far is that we've been
reacting to reported bugs. I'd be happy if we could change this. Short
term I'd love to see us release 2.0.6 as a sign of life.

> - Perhaps some of them need to be reprioritized, so that it's easier
> to focus on what is high priority and consistent with the roadmap.

Current priorities are most likely the ones set by the reporters. Which
usually means everybody considers their issues the most important ones.

Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe <Jo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-09-06, Gert Driesen wrote:

> I've got my hands full at the moment, but I'll try to step up and contribute
> to log4net on a best effort basis.

Would be good to have you back.

Cheers

        Stefan

RE: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Gert Driesen <ge...@telenet.be>.
Hey Stefan,

I've got my hands full at the moment, but I'll try to step up and contribute
to log4net on a best effort basis.
Surely don't want to let log4net fade out.

Regards,
Gert

Posted by Joe <Jo...@hotmail.com>.
I'm interested in this as I've also written an async appender.  Mine is currently lossy both at application shutdown and when the application floods it with events faster than it can process them, so to date I haven't been too concerned by this issue.

Do you have an MCVE (http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve) for the problem you describe in your StackOverflow post?   If so I'd be happy to take a look.

Log4net already exposes a shutdown routine (LogManager.Shutdown()).  If pull request #37 (https://github.com/apache/log4net/pull/37) is implemented, your app could also call LogManager.Flush at shutdown.

A comment in RemotingAppender.OnClose, which is asynchronous, implies that queued background threads may not complete if called from the ProcessExit event (total execution time of ProcessExit event handlers limited to 2 seonds by default).

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi Nicholas

On 2016-11-01, Nicholas Duane wrote:

> Got some questions around this.  I was hoping that if I put the call
> to LogManager.Shutdown() in my application it might call Close() on
> all the appenders.  However, that doesn't seem to be the case.

That's what I would have expected as well. This is code I've never
touched and I'm not familiar with the implementation choices back then,
but LogManager.Shutdown() leads to Logger.CloseNestedAppenders() which
only closes Appenders that are IAppenderAttachable.

I'm what to make from this myself.

> Not sure if the Flush() you talk about is something that might have
> solved my problem.

At least it is going to Flush all appenders.

> I checked over the links you provided.  One talks about implementing a
> queue in an async appender so that each developer wouldn't have to do
> it.  While that certainly sounds like a good thing to do, even this
> implementation would need to flush its queue, or at least do as much
> as it could in the time allotted, when the process shuts down.  That
> is the main point I'm trying to bring up as my appender has its own
> queue but the Close() method doesn't give me any significant amount of
> time to flush my queue and thus I'm losing events.

Ideas for a new implementation of the AsyncAppender are currently
discussed on the dev mailing list.

Stefan

Re: AsyncAppender (was Re: Apache log4net Needs Help)

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.
Got some questions around this.  I was hoping that if I put the call to LogManager.Shutdown() in my application it might call Close() on all the appenders.  However, that doesn't seem to be the case.  Not sure if the Flush() you talk about is something that might have solved my problem.

I checked over the links you provided.  One talks about implementing a queue in an async appender so that each developer wouldn't have to do it.  While that certainly sounds like a good thing to do, even this implementation would need to flush its queue, or at least do as much as it could in the time allotted, when the process shuts down.  That is the main point I'm trying to bring up as my appender has its own queue but the Close() method doesn't give me any significant amount of time to flush my queue and thus I'm losing events.

One of the links also provides an AsyncAppender implementation which the author claims will address the problem of lost events on shutdown, but it appears to use the Close() method to shutdown cleanly, which I would assume suffers from the same problem I experienced.  Namely, the Close() method appears to be called from log4net by way of syncing the .NET app domain shutdown event.  At that point you're not given any time to cleanup.

Thanks,

Nick

________________________________
Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-10-16, Nicholas Duane wrote:

> By the way, what's the state of async appenders in log4net?

This is one of the things I'd love people to get involved in. We've got

* a simple implementation inside the sample
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-190
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-201
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-407

the later even made it into the 1.3 branch (that's now been
abandoned). It would be good if anybody found the time to make it work
inside the current trunk setup.

So there are few implementations. They may share the problem mentioned
here

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36344822/log4net-appenders-onclose-doesnt-seem-to-work

I haven't checked.

On 2016-10-04, Nicholas Duane wrote:

> While I realize resources are needed to make any changes to the code base, even if resources are/become available it's yet another (big?) decision on whether the changes that are made to log4net are ones which will take it off into its own direction or whether a new version of log4net is created which is a port of lo4j2.

Absolutely. That's why I qualified it with "who want to do the porting
work" :-)

Whether a log4j2 port happens or not really is decided by the people who
are willing and able to invest the time needed. The same is true for any
other decision we take. There is no "business plan" for log4net, those
who do the work decide about what gets done.

I hear you and I understand why a log4net closer to log4j2 might be
attractive but I am completely unable to devote the time needed for
something that would more or less amount in a rewrite.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-10-04, Nicholas Duane wrote:

>> Whether a log4j2 port happens or not really is decided by the people who
>> are willing and able to invest the time needed. The same is true for any
>> other decision we take. There is no "business plan" for log4net, those
>> who do the work decide about what gets done.

> Wow.  So the developers are going to decide the feature in the
> product?

Right. This is open source ;-)

> I would have thought, and hoped, that the apache foundation, would be
> making the strategic decision on product direction.

No, this would be a misconception. "The Apache Software Foundation"
provides infrastructure and the legal framework for its projects, any
other decision is delegated to "the project". And "the project" is, in
the end, the group of developers working on it.

Many of the active people at the ASF I know - including myself -
wouldn't be here if there were other people who told them what to work
on. Most of us are volunteers spending their spare time.

> As I mentioned, it's my opinion that there should be a single logging architecture/design which is ported to both linux/java and windows/.net.  Anything else doesn't make sense, at least to me.

This is a discussion to have on the general@logging.apache.org.

The groups of people working on log4net and log4j are more or less
disjunct. It took a long time to carve out log4j 2.x (and pain, if my
remote observations are correct) and log4net hasn't been following it at
all - most likely because we haven't had enough people with enough time
looking after log4net back then as well.

I understand your point, but one consequence would likely be that log4j
was slowed down by log4net if we were striving for feature
parity. Slowed down severly.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-10-04, Nicholas Duane wrote:

> While I realize resources are needed to make any changes to the code base, even if resources are/become available it's yet another (big?) decision on whether the changes that are made to log4net are ones which will take it off into its own direction or whether a new version of log4net is created which is a port of lo4j2.

Absolutely. That's why I qualified it with "who want to do the porting
work" :-)

Whether a log4j2 port happens or not really is decided by the people who
are willing and able to invest the time needed. The same is true for any
other decision we take. There is no "business plan" for log4net, those
who do the work decide about what gets done.

I hear you and I understand why a log4net closer to log4j2 might be
attractive but I am completely unable to devote the time needed for
something that would more or less amount in a rewrite.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

> Just curious if anyone has any feedback?

I think I've written this before, but in case I haven't:

Whether a port of log4j 2.x will happen depends on whether people show
up who want to do the porting work. This hasn't happened, yet.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not looking for anyone to give me reasons to go with log4net, I have already made that decision.  Since it seems there's interest as of late to find more resources to provide enhancements to log4net I wanted to voice my concern over diverging from log4j(2).  As I mentioned, I think one of the major benefits of log4net was its relation to log4j.  That was a big reason for me picking log4net over nlog.  I realize others might not have the same reasons, but I would find it hard to believe that if you're working in a large enterprise with applications on both Windows/.NET and Linux/Java and you're looking to adopt a logging framework, that having similar frameworks across the two platforms would not be a big benefit.

So I guess I'm bringing this up for selfish reasons.  I want to see log4net become a port of log4j2.  And I wouldn't mind helping with that effort.  But I would not be interested in helping if log4net is going off in its own direction since that is a bad idea in my opinion.

Thanks,

Nick

________________________________
On 2016-09-20 01:30, Nicholas Duane wrote:

I can understand the breaking changes thing, but my impression is that straying from the log4j design is a bad idea.  What I think would be ideal is an apache logging architecture/design and then ports to java, log4j, and .NET, log4net.  One of the big benefits I see is having "relatively" the same logging framework run on both major platforms.

The one reason we picked log4net is because we chose lo4j2 on java.  And having similar design was a benefit.  If we evaluated log4net on its own I'm not sure we would have picked it.

Thanks,

Nick

________________________________
On 2016-09-13, Shivinder Singh wrote:

> [...]

>> Despite this there are more than 2500 downloads of the logging
>> framework every day from nuget. We are asking you, the log4net
>> community, to get your hands dirty.

>> Right now we are in the process of creating a log4net release that
>> works for .NET Core. It is a very targeted effort and it is very
>> unlikely Dominik and Stefan will be able to contribute more in the
>> future than we did during the past months.

>> If you are willing to help, please join log4net's dev mailing list and
>> raise your hand. Look through log4net's issue tracker and pick things
>> you'd like to work on. If you don't know where to start, please ask,
>> Dominik and Stefan will be there to help.

>> If there is anything holding you back from contributing, let's discuss
>> it and get it out of the way. Nothing is carved into stone, neither
>> what the future of log4net holds nor how we make it happen.

Log4net - ASF JIRA - issues.apache.org<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET>

issues.apache.org

The Apache log4net library is a tool to help the programmer output log statements to a variety of output targets. log4net is a port of the excellent Apache log4j ...

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Walden H. Leverich" <wa...@techsoftinc.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-09-14, Nicholas Duane wrote:

> I had asked about this in the past and I figured I would ask again
> after seeing this mail.  Any chance that we'll get a log4net version
> which is a "port" of the latest log4j2?

If and only if we get enough people to do it, sure.

Anything is possible if people show up who want to help - it will be
these people who decide what is going to happen.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Shivinder Singh <sh...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Joe <Jo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Joe <Jo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Taylor <JU...@lorencook.com>.
Yes, I'm using Mono.  I'll look into the defines and see what I can find.

Thanks

On 2016-09-08, Justin Taylor wrote:

> I pulled down the source.  It builds fine but the unit tests fail
> (log4net.vs2012.sln).  Is there some setup/prerequisites I've
> overlooked?

Currently the official build system is the Nant build. I personally don't use VS so am perfectly able to break the solution without noticin it - but I think Dominik uses this solution file. In general the solutions are supposed to work, though.

It looks as if you were using xbuild on Mono, this is something I have considered myself before (as NAnt doesn't support recent versions of Mono anymore). In this case the solution doesn't hold the mono specific defines MONO,MONO_2_0,MONO_4_0 - I'm not sure how to solve that in an environment specific way.

> It's showing:
> Passed 121	Failed 4		Errors 31

> Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.AdoNetAppenderTest.BufferingWebsiteExample ...
> log4net:ERROR XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Failed to construct object of type [log4net.Layout.PatternLayout] Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
>   at
> log4net.Util.PatternStringConverters.NewLinePatternConverter.ActivateO
> ptions () <0x41403630 + 0x00014> in <filename unknown>:0

This should have been fixed by svn revision 1759541 - which is

https://github.com/apache/log4net/commit/32b7a3ebc4c1123ea3bf55bb257b81e5d71ad130

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
On 2016-09-08 10:20, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2016-09-08, Dominik Psenner wrote:
>
>> That process is a little bit clumsy and therefore we should all agree
>> on one build solution.
> +1
>
> We've already reached the point in trunk where a single build system
> doesn't work anymore. Right now it is NAnt + .NET Core's CLI.
>
> We should collect our requirements and see what fits our bill - and
> likely move this discussion to the dev list ;-)
+1

Re: Apache log4net Needs Help

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

On 2016-09-08 06:05, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> On 2016-09-08, Justin Taylor wrote:
>
>> I pulled down the source.  It builds fine but the unit tests fail
>> (log4net.vs2012.sln).  Is there some setup/prerequisites I've
>> overlooked?
> Currently the official build system is the Nant build. I personally
> don't use VS so am perfectly able to break the solution without noticin
> it - but I think Dominik uses this solution file. In general the
> solutions are supposed to work, though.

I usually do not build mono stuff with msbuild (i.e. visual studio
projects) because I do not even have projects that run on mono. Thus the
workflow for me is to hack on visual studio and as a last step I fire up
nant to build and run the tests. Therefore it can be that the project
does not build with visual studio.

That process is a little bit clumsy and therefore we should all agree on
one build solution. From what I know about, msbuild can be customized to
do about anything we want from it and as such it can also build mono
assemblies. But we may as well drop the visual studio solutions and make
nant/monodevelop our favorite hacking environment. We just have to find
an agreement.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin

Posted by Justin Taylor <JU...@lorencook.com>.
I pulled down the source.  It builds fine but the unit tests fail (log4net.vs2012.sln).  Is there some setup/prerequisites I've overlooked?

It's showing:
Passed 121	Failed 4		Errors 31

Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.AdoNetAppenderTest.BufferingWebsiteExample ...
log4net:ERROR XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Failed to construct object of type [log4net.Layout.PatternLayout] Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at log4net.Util.PatternStringConverters.NewLinePatternConverter.ActivateOptions () <0x41403630 + 0x00014> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Util.PatternParser.ProcessConverter (System.String converterName, System.String option, log4net.Util.FormattingInfo formattingInfo) <0x413b9760 + 0x0065e> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Util.PatternParser.ParseInternal (System.String pattern, System.String[] matches) <0x413b8ca0 + 0x004e3> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Util.PatternParser.Parse () <0x413b8690 + 0x0001f> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Layout.PatternLayout.ActivateOptions () <0x413b7ab0 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Layout.PatternLayout..ctor (System.String pattern) <0x413b6f40 + 0x00125> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Layout.PatternLayout..ctor () <0x4143d560 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoCMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoCMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00002] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:644
  at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00013] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:650
  at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceMono (Boolean nonPublic) [0x000ca] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/mcs/class/corlib/ReferenceSources/RuntimeType.cs:115
  at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow (Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) [0x0001a] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/mcs/class/corlib/ReferenceSources/RuntimeType.cs:89
  at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor (Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) [0x0002a] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/rttype.cs:5599
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, Boolean nonPublic) [0x00040] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/activator.cs:201
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type) [0x00000] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-4.4.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/activator.cs:134
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.CreateObjectFromXml (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Type defaultTargetType, System.Type typeConstraint) <0x4143c4a0 + 0x003d2> in <filename unknown>:0
log4net:ERROR Could not create Appender [AdoNetAppender] of type [log4net.Appender.AdoNetAppender]. Reported error follows.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.SetParameter (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Object target) <0x41437540 + 0x00180> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.CreateObjectFromXml (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Type defaultTargetType, System.Type typeConstraint) <0x4143c4a0 + 0x00573> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.SetParameter (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Object target) <0x41437540 + 0x01bbf> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.CreateObjectFromXml (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Type defaultTargetType, System.Type typeConstraint) <0x4143c4a0 + 0x00573> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.SetParameter (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Object target) <0x41437540 + 0x01bbf> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.ParseAppender (System.Xml.XmlElement appenderElement) <0x41436850 + 0x007ef> in <filename unknown>:0
log4net:ERROR Appender named [AdoNetAppender] not found.
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.AdoNetAppenderTest.WebsiteExample ...
[...]
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.EventLogAppenderTest.ActivateOptionsDisablesAppenderIfSourceDoesntExist ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.MemoryAppenderTest.TestThreadSafety ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestDefaultLockingModel ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestExclusiveLockFails ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestExclusiveLockLocks ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestExclusiveLockRecovers ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestInterProcessLockFails ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestInterProcessLockRecovers ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestInterProcessLockRoll ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestInterProcessLockUnlocks ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestLogOutput ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestMinimalLockFails ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestMinimalLockRecovers ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestMinimalLockUnlocks ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestRollingCountDownFixedBackups ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestRollingCountDownInfiniteBackups ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestRollingCountDownZeroBackups ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestRollingCountUpFixedBackups ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestRollingCountUpInfiniteBackups ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.RollingFileAppenderTest.TestRollingCountUpZeroBackups ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.SmtpPickupDirAppenderTest.TestConfigurableFileExtension ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.SmtpPickupDirAppenderTest.TestDefaultFileNameIsAGuid ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.SmtpPickupDirAppenderTest.TestOutputContainsSentDate ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.DynamicPatternLayoutTest.NamedPatternConverterWithoutPrecisionShouldReturnFullName ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.DynamicPatternLayoutTest.NamedPatternConverterWithPrecision1ShouldStripLeadingStuffIfPresent ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.DynamicPatternLayoutTest.NamedPatternConverterWithPrecision2ShouldStripLessLeadingStuffIfPresent ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.DynamicPatternLayoutTest.TestAddingCustomPattern ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.PatternLayoutTest.NamedPatternConverterWithoutPrecisionShouldReturnFullName ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.PatternLayoutTest.NamedPatternConverterWithPrecision1ShouldStripLeadingStuffIfPresent ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.PatternLayoutTest.NamedPatternConverterWithPrecision2ShouldStripLessLeadingStuffIfPresent ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Layout.PatternLayoutTest.TestAddingCustomPattern ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Util.EnvironmentPatternConverterTest.SystemLevelEnvironmentVariable ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Util.EnvironmentPatternConverterTest.UserLevelEnvironmentVariable ...
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Util.PatternConverterTest.PatternLayoutConverterProperties ...
[...]
log4net:ERROR Could not create Appender [StringAppender] of type [log4net.Tests.Appender.StringAppender, log4net.Tests]. Reported error follows.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.SetParameter (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Object target) <0x41437540 + 0x00180> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.CreateObjectFromXml (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Type defaultTargetType, System.Type typeConstraint) <0x4143c4a0 + 0x00573> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.SetParameter (System.Xml.XmlElement element, System.Object target) <0x41437540 + 0x01bbf> in <filename unknown>:0
  at log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.XmlHierarchyConfigurator.ParseAppender (System.Xml.XmlElement appenderElement) <0x41436850 + 0x007ef> in <filename unknown>:0
log4net:ERROR Appender named [StringAppender] not found.
Running log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Util.SystemInfoTest.TestGetTypeFromStringCaseInsensitiveOnAssemblyName ...